Twenty-eight

"What? What do you mean not doing too well?" I sat forward and turned the volume up on my phone.

"She...she just, just broke down." He said in a quivering voice. "I mean completely, she threw things, swore at the world, cursed our parents, damned her life. Maggie...it was really bad." He almost whispered as if he still couldn't believe it himself.

"What do you mean really bad Hunter, how bad?!"

"Maggie, Sarah...she, she tried to kill her self." I had to strain to hear him.

"What?" My voice broke. "No, no Sarah's not like that, she would never do that. Hunter she would never do that?" I squeaked.

But would she do that? She had been hiding her secret from everyone for so long. I myself saw just the other day how broken she actually was. But she wouldn't try to actually take her own life. She wasn't crazy. But, maybe she was going mad inside her own mind, masking the truth, lying to herself and the rest of us? Her drinking, her partying, she focused on her studies less and less. Maybe Sarah really was becoming a person I didn't know.

"Hunter, she, she was fine. I just saw her. I just spoke to her!"

"Maggie, baby, I know. It was so sudden, so out of nowhere, it scared all of us half to death."

"Do they know?" I whispered.

He sighed and was quiet a long time. I wasn't sure if he was still on the phone or not. He finally spoke. "Yeah, they know."

My heart broke. Why wasn't I there?! My best friend needed me and I wasn't there! What if something happened to her and I didn't even get to see her?!

No Maggie, think like that, she's gonna be fine, she's gonna be just fine.

"Hunter." I sniffed. "Is she going to be okay?" My voice was small.

"Love," he started after a moment. "I'll make sure that she is. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted."

I wiped at my eyes. How did he manage to be so strong about all of this? "Promise?"

"I promise."

"Don't make a pro use you can't make." I repeated his words he once said to me.

"Maggie, she's going to be okay, I know she is. I'll call you the moment things change. If anything happens, you'll know."

I nodded. "Okay." I was about to hang up.

"Oh, and Maggie."

"Yes?" My voice quivered.

"I love you."

I sniffed, wiping at my eyes. "I love you too." By the time I hung I had already forgotten about my boyfriend troubles, the only thing I was worried about now was my best friend.

******

"But I wanna go now!" I could hear the voice of a child coming in to my bedroom. It was driving me mad as I still wasn't ready to wake up. I had a lot on my mind and I just wanted to sleep it off.

"Madeline you get back here right now young lady!"

"Nooo!" The little girl screamed.

I gave up and just decided to get up. I could smell breakfast cooking so it must not have been too late in the day.

If I was going to be meeting the rest of his family, I wanted to look presentable. There was a bathroom connected to my room and one other. I decided to lock both door and take a long hot shower that was way over due.

When I got out, I spritzed my hair so that my curls would still look wet even after they dried. I put on a sheer flowing top with a necklace I had made out of seashells. I pulled on a pair of salmon colored jean shorts with a pair of wedges and called it a day. It was always good to make a good first impression .