Sixteen

"Ha! I beat you!" I stuck my tongue out and taunted Tyler. We'd been spending every waking moment the past few days. I was going to miss him a lot.

"No, I saw you cheat that time." He laughed.

"Own up, you got beat by a girl." I teased.

He pulled me towards him and gave me a knuckle sandwich. "This is what happens to cheaters!"

I laughed and broke free from his grip. At the same moment, my mom stepped through the front door. "Staying for dinner?" She didn't even have to look to know he was here.

"Yes ma'am!" He stood up to go and greet her, hugging her a little.

"Such a doll, this one." She chuckled.

I rolled my eyes, following them into the kitchen. "Don't let him fool you."

He shoved me to the side with a smirk. "Haters are something aren't they Mrs. S?"

I felt my eyes roll as I leaned against the island in the middle of my kitchen.

"When is your flight?" She asked as she put some meat patties on the stove.

"Takes off at seven on Saturday." He said with his eyes on me. They were sad. I looked away and tried to ignore the oncoming pain.

"Two days." I huffed.

"I wish I could take you with me." He smiled.

"Pssh! I wish I could come!"

"Then why don't you?" My mom smiled.

We both snapped our heads toward her at the same time. "What?" We said in unison.

"I'm down for it if you're father is."

"You're joking right?" I said in disbelief. No way were my parents going to let me fly across the world with some boy.

She shrugged. "Of course not. Your father has known his for years now, I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Mom, this is Italy we're talking about, as in half way across the world. Please don't get me excited." Too late.

"I promise, I will get your father in board."

"Oh my goodness!" I squealed as I hugged my mother. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

"Alright, geez." She laughed. "Tyler call your dad and make sure it's okay with him."

"Trust me, he won't mind." His smile was big, he didn't show it, but I could tell that he was just as excited as I was.

I squealed and ran toward Tyler. He caught me in his arms in a big bear hug. We both laughed uncontrollably.

"Now I'm excited!

******

"Daddy please?! I promise I will do anything you want! Please just say yes." I begged.

Mom and I were trying to get him on board. Tyler had already went home for the night.

"Scott, let the girl go. She hasn't been Europe yet, it would be fun. Besides, you and Marvin go way back. It's not like we're sending her off to strangers."

He drummed his fingers on his desk. "Boy was I not expecting to come home to this."

"Puhleeease?!" I pleaded.

He dragged his hands down his face. "Give me some time to talk to your mom." I nodded. After a few minutes that felt like hours, they called me back in. "Alright." My dad sighed. "There's a compromise in progress if you chose to accept it."