Forty

I rested my head against the steering wheel as I tried to catch my breath. What the heck was I going to do? Did he know that I knew what he did? He probably did with the way I was acting.

Was it weird that I was actually a little scared now? Running in to him like that had really thrown me for a loop. At least now I knew where to find him. I would make sure that Sarah steered clear of this place.

My hands shook a little as I dialed Hunter's number. After a second or two, I thought better of it so I hung up. Telling him wasn't that smartest idea, at least not while he was in the middle of dinner.

"Geez Maggie, what are you doing?! Just call him!" I yelled to myself.

My heart was in my ears as I kept seeing his handsome face in my head over and over. They said the devil had been the most beautiful of angels, now I can understand why that alone was so frightening.

After calming myself down, I drove back towards my house, arguing and mumbling to myself the entire time. I'd be a bad friend if I didn't do something about this. But what exactly was I supposed to do? Go up to the guy and be like "hey aren't you the one who raped my best friend?! Why don't we sit down and have a chat?!" That so would not work.

I found myself pacing around my room and biting my nails. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Aside from the fact that Hunter was busy, he would go berserk if I told him. If I didn't tell him and he found our, he'd be just as upset and I would find myself at fault for not saying anything. Either way was bad.

Maybe I should just tell my parents. Then again, that would be worse and ten times more heart wrenching. I figured I was better off going to Hunter.

When I could no longer sit still, I decided I was going to have to go and tell him. I wasn't sure if they were still in the middle of dinner, but this wasn't something that should wait. I shook my hands out as I turned the key in the front door. If I went in through the back kitchen, that would make things all the more awkward if they were in there instead of the dinning room.

When I walked inside I could here the chatter of voices coming from the kitchen. I was glad I hadn't decided to go that way.

Hunter's back was to me so he didn't see me enter, instead, the people who I assumed to be Ellie's parents and Ellie her self was facing me. She scowled when she saw me.

"Oh god, why are you here?" All heads turned toward me.

I felt my cheeks set on fire and my tongue swell, I was being an intrusion and wasn't invited.

"Uh...Maggie, hey um-"

"Hunter can I talk to you please, it's kind of important."

"Who is this?" Her mother smiled falsely. I could taste the snootiness in my mouth.

"Uh, this Maggie." I tried to ignore the fact that he didn't introduce me as his girlfriend, I'd stress over that later. "Right now?" He cocked a brow a little. I nodded. "Maggie-"

"It's really important." I said nervously.

"Um, Hunter, go on and see, it shouldn't take long, yes Maggie?" I nodded and silently thanked Tammy.

He excused himself from the table and pulled me away. "What is it? I really hope this-"

"I ran into Alex." I blurted out. I hadn't planned on blurting it out like that, but I freaked.

He cocked a confused brow. "Wait, what? Alex, who's Alex?"

"Alex." I breathed. "The Alex who took Sarah to prom..." I said carefully. I wasn't sure how he wasn't going to react, or if he was even going to catch on.

The color drained from his face. "When you say Alex..." I nodded. He turned on his heel and ran his hands through his hair, resting them on his knees and bending over a little. He stood up and shook his hands out. "Where? How? When?" He breathed carefully, I could see that he was trying to keep his composure, he'd been waiting for the day where he could finally run into him.

I chewed my bottom lip. What if I told him and he did something stupid? I didn't want anyone to get hurt.

"Maggie," he breathed. "Where?" He said firmly.

"Is everything okay in here?" Ellie came in and said with a hand on her stomach, a smug smile on her face. I don't know what game she though she was playing, but now wasn't the time.

"Yeah, give us a moment." Hunter said with his back to her.

"Well hurry up, my parents-"

"I said gives us a moment." His voice rose in volume a little, he was doing what he could to hold back his anger. I could almost see the image running through his head, the images of what that sicko had done to his baby sister.

Ellie rolled her eyes, slightly offended and walked off with her arms crossed and chin up.

He turned his head to the side a little, not actually looking at me, but looking at me. "Where?"

"He works at the Walmart on North Kings." I said quietly, I felt like a small child being scolded.

"When?"

I sighed. "About thirty minutes ago."

He turned on his heel. "I'm getting my keys."

I followed behind him. "What? Wait, Hunter, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing." He bit as he walked up the stairs to his room.

"Hunter, you can't, you can't just leave, and please, don't do anything stupid."

"Maggie, do you know how many nights of sleep I've lost because of this idiot? I'm going to beat his brains in." He snapped.

I caught on to his arm. "Hunter, stop! You can't just expect to-"

"Watch me."

"Hunter, lets not be rash here. I knew I-"

"Rash? Rash?! Rash was when that idiot raped my little sister! Rash is when that sicko thought he could get away with it and go on about it like nothing happened! That's rash!"

"Hunter, I don't want you to do something stupid." I said quietly. "Just promise me that you won't do anything stupid, please?" I rested a hand on his chest, his breathing was heavy as he took deep breaths. I knew telling him right now had been a bad idea.

He ran his hands through his hair and down his face. "Maggie I can't do that, you know I can't do that."

"Yes you can. Hunter, you don't have to handle this. We could tell someone, we could tell them we know who he is and where to find him."

He shook his head. "Uh uh, no, he gets the easy way out, he won't suffer like he made her. I want him to feel her pain." He said menacingly.

I bit my bottom lip. "Hunter, baby, you don't mean that." I didn't like seeing him like this, like a crazed older brother out for revenge.

He gritted his teeth. "No Mag, I do." He spat.

I hugged him around his waist, holding on to him for dear life. "Babe, listen to me, let them handle this. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have told you."

"No," he sighed, finally wrapping his arms around me. "You did that right thing, and you're right, we should let them handle it." He kissed my forehead. "Look, you can stay up here, but I've gotta get back downstairs, and then, I don't know we can go do something if its not too late."

His tone was off and strangled, but I nodded anyway. "Okay." He turned to leave out of his room. "Oh and Hunter...I love you."

He smiled a little. "I love you too babe