Fifty-three

Three Months Later

"Mag! Tyler's here hurry up!" Sarah called up the stairs.

"I'm coming, don't rush me!"

"Alright, be late for school, see if I care!"

"Blah blah blah!" I said as I grabbed my bag.

Sarah followed me out to the front where Tyler was waiting in his car. We were car pooling because it was cheaper for all of us. Sarah climbed in the back while I called shot gun.

"Hey." He smiled and kissed me on the lips.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Ugh, please get a room."

"Jealous." Tyler winked.

Sarah didn't mind us being together. She was happy if I was, and was happy to see that I was finally getting over her older brother whom broke my heart.

"Why would I be? My boyfriend's in college." She said smugly.

Tyler and I both rolled our eyes while I ignored the little tug reminding me that I too once had a college boyfriend. But he was long gone from my mind. I was slowly receiving from the damage he'd caused, but recovering nonetheless. And now I had the guy who I was comfortable with. He was more then just my boyfriend, he was my best friend.

We chatted amongst ourselves the entire ride to school. When we got there, you could already feel the excited hum in the air. Today was Friday, and the last day before thanksgiving break.

The one thing about this day that stuck out to me was the fact that today was his birthday. I still chose not to say his name.

"Plan on getting out any time soon?" Tyler chuckled.

"Huh? Oh." I blushed as he pulled me from my thoughts. "Sorry."

He waived a hand. "It's fine." He unstrapped his seat belt. "Now lets hurry and gets this bloody day over with."

******

"Hello?" Sarah snapped an annoyed finger in my face.

"Oh, sorry." I blushed. "What'd you say?"

She huffed. "What's with you, you've been zoning out all day."

"So you've picked up on it too?" Tyler took one of the fries from off my tray.

I shook my head. "My brains been a little preoccupied."

"No!" Sarah exclaimed sarcastically.

"Care to explain why?" Tyler squeezed my knee as I leaned into him for support.

"I don't know." I whined. It wasn't entirely a lie. I didn't know why thoughts of Hunter were attacking my brain.

Something crossed Sarah's face and she mellowed out. Understanding etching her face.

"Ah. I see."

I frowned. "Please don't."

"What? What did I miss." Tyler said dumbly.

"Today's my idiot of a brother's birthday."

"I know see too." He said understanding now too. He knew I still wasn't completely over him, but we were willing to try. Without a doubt, there had always been something more then just friends between Tyler and I. But we both knew that the only way we could truly be together and happy was for me to get over him. It was easier said then done, I had half mad about him since I was twelve. Things like that didn't just die down over night.

"I'm sorry." I said to him.

He took my hands in his. " you have nothing to be apologizing for. You're thinking about him on his birthday." He chuckled a little. "It's actually kind of hard to forget someone on their birthday actually."