Fifty-six

Fifty-six

Three Months Later

"Did you apply?" I asked Tyler as he sat across from me. We were siting in a booth sharing a funnel cake. Spring break was just around the corner and things around the shore were just starting to pick up again.

We both planned on going to Duke together. It wasn't crazy far from home, Tyler had an awesome chance to play football, and I had the opportunity to study medicine. It somehow worked out perfectly for us. My chances of getting in were pretty high, as for Tyler, he was nervous. although his was smart and his rank was fairly high, his strong side was in sports, not academics.

"Yes." He smiled.

I waited patiently but he still said nothing. "Tyler!?"

"Look, can we just not talk about it right now? Please? Lets just...enjoy right now."

I knew there was something he wasn't telling me, but I decided I would leave it alone for right now.

I smiled. "Okay. Sure, what do you want to do?"

"Well, it's still too cold to go to the beach, so...we can go back to my place, my mom still isn't back from Florida yet."

I shrugged. "Fine by me. But please this time, try not to burn the whole place down." A few weeks back he'd tried to make cookies from scratch. Lets just say that baking wasn't for him. The house still smelled like charred cookie dough.

He laughed with a scowl on his face. "I promise, no cooking or baking, just cuddling and tv."

"I can live with that." I laughed.

When we got to his place, that unmistakable burnt smell greeted us.

"Ah, the barbecued smell of home sweet home." He took a deep breath with a smile on his face.

I laughed, my voice echoing of the floors. "How lovely."

He pulled us towards the couch, falling in one heap together as he cut the tv on.

He sighed in content as I lay snuggled in his arms. "I love you, you know that?"

I traces his bottom lip, memorizing his beautiful face. As time progressed, I fell harder for him then I thought I could. He was the sweetest person in my life right now. I don't know why it took me so long to realize I loved him back just as much as he loved me.

For a while there, I was in love with two guys. But the old flame of my past slowly started to die out until it became nothing but a fleck of light. Now, my love for Tyler was in full blast and I could love him fully and entirely.

"I love you too." I couldn't hold off any longer, I had to kiss him. The feel of his lips against mine was comfortable. He was like coming home after a long tireless day. I found safety in him, and I was content with us staying the way we were forever. No drama, no complications, just pure bliss.

We watched tv for a long time while cuddled on the couch with our fingers laced together.

"Do you think you'll ever find another girlfriend as amazing as me?" I grinned, looking up at his face to only find him smiling down at me.

"Your as good as they come." He kissed my nose.

"I guess I'm pretty lucky too then."

"That you are." He chuckled.

"But, if you ever did find someone else-"

"I don't plan too." He said smugly.

"But if you did, she'd be pretty lucky. I'd hate her though."