N. Kind of Like a Promise

Emi sat beside Coach Ochiai taking notes on the scorebook while she watched the second-string play

Emi sat beside Coach Ochiai taking notes on the scorebook while she watched the second-string play. Furuya stood on the other side of the coach as he also watched the game. Emi's thought went back to when coach Kataoka had requested Coach Ochiai to have Furuya play infield and have him feel what the other infielders feel while he is pitching.

"Kobayashi, what do you think of Okumura and Seto?" Ochiai asked the girl.

"Mm... they seem to have a deep knowledge and understanding about baseball, but their physique is on the weaker side. Okumura-kun would be able to be in the first-string if it wasn't for his physique."

"I see..." The old man said before going back to his usual observation as Emi stared at him with a dumbfounded expression.

He is as quiet as ever. She thought to herself as the practice continued on.

Emi now stood beside Coach Kataoka with her usual notebook in hand as she watched Sawamura finish pitching twenty balls before taking a rest. "Resting after twenty pitches? Is that all for today?" A man asked.

"No, he'll be pitching one hundred times. But he would never pitch one hundred times consecutively in a real game. Twenty pitches, rest, twenty pitches, sprints, twenty pitches, rest. I'm having him practice like a real game, including anticipating him getting on base as a batter." Kataoka told the man.

"Oh, I see..."

They continued to watch and Kataoka remembered how both Ochiai and Emi had recommended Okumura and decided to let Okumura have a try. "Okumura, you'll switch with Yui for this set! You'll catch Sawamura." Kataoka surprised everyone.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that." Okumura told the coach, shocking everyone even more.

"You can't? What do you mean?" Kataoka frowned.

"HAHAHAHA! Boss! He won't catch me until he's on the first string!" Sawamura informed the coach. "It's kind of like a promise, a rule for himself! He's like... as difficult to deal with as a wolf! But that's what makes him interesting! AHAHAH!"

"I intend to put you and Seto on the first-string before Miyuki leaves for the Tokyo Tournament, does that Satisfy you?" Kataoka asked the first-year catcher.

"Once that time comes, I will be all too happy to." Okumura said seriously, "but... I am a catcher, if I'm going to be on the first string, it has to be as a catcher."

"I understand. That's enough." Kataoka said.

"He disobeyed Kataoka..." A man whispered to his friend.

"Who is that guy?" The other asked.

"Okumura Koshu..." Emi muttered to herself, smiling awkwardly at the boy's words. "You really hate to be in the second-string don't you?"

That night, Emi knocked on the door of Miyuki's dorm room and opened the door only to find Okumura glaring at both Miyuki and Sawamura. "Oh, am I interrupting?"