XXIV. Whispers of the Devil?

"Johzenji? You guys are playing Johzenji next week?" Emi asked through the phone as she walked down the stairs towards the baseball field.

"Yeah, I was hoping Emi-chan has a little intel on them?" Hitoka asked through the phone, the manager was still new in gathering information about the other teams, so she decided to ask for help from the former manager.

"Mm, let me see..." Emi said as she flipped through her volleyball notes, "aha! Here is it! Johzenji High School... Well, the third-years all retired after interhigh, and they seem to have a strong defense but they lack offense now. They did lose to Aoba Josai in the semifinals during Interhigh. Their new coach seems to make them practice through two-on-two matches with one another, and their team mostly consists of second-years. They are easy-going and energetic during games, but they are very unpredictable, so you guys have to be careful."

"How do you find all of this so easily?" Hitoka was surprised that the former manager was able to gather this much information about a team.

"It takes practice and a lot of observation," Emi said with a giggle.

"I would never be able to do this," Hitoka said a little bummed that she wasn't as good as Emi.

"Yacchan, you are already an awesome manager! Don't doubt yourself!" Emi scolded the girl, "It take time to be able to observe a game and gather intel, but Yacchan has been a great manager since day one, fighting!" Emi encouraged the girl.

"Emi-chan is too nice!" Hitoka said tearing up a little, "Ah, we are starting practice. Thank you for the notes, Emi-chan! Good luck on your practice today!"

"Bye Yacchan!" Emi said as she cut off the call. She was about to walk away, she encountered Ochiai close to her.

"Oh! I am sorry, Ochiai-san, I didn't know you were here," Emi bowed slightly as she saw the assistant coach.

"Nah, it's alright. Who were you talking to over the phone?" Ochiai asked staring at her with no emotion whatsover.

"My friend from my former school," Emi replied stepping a little further from the man seeing that he was way too close to her for her liking.

"I see," Ochiai said as he stroked his tiny beard, "Your observation skills are quite unique, Kobayashi."

"Erm, thank you?" Emi responded slightly confused.

"Let me ask you this question, if this team made it to the Nationals, it would be all out of pure luck, wouldn't it?" Ochiai asked the girl looking straight into her eyes trying to get a reaction out of her. He honestly wanted to see if there was a way to make the girl accept his way of coaching, he saw how useful she would be if he took over the team later on. He also knew the influence she had on many of the players, so it would be easier to have the girl like him and support him when he took the chance to talk to the players.

"I am sure that if it was out of pure luck, Seido wouldn't have been able to improve as much as they did during these past months," Emi told Ochiai with a smile, "If they made it to the nationals, I am sure it would be because of their hard work amd their determination to win," Emi finished her statement as she looked at Ochiai with a similar dangerous look Hinata gave Ushijima Wakatoshi. Ochiai couldn't help but feel intimidated by the girl and his plans all flew away knowing that it would be impossible to change her mind, expecially with that predator look of hers.

"Interesting," Ochiai said before turning around and walking away not wanting to show her how intimidated he was by her.

He's just walking away... Emi sweatdropped at the man's actions, What an odd coach...