Chapter 42

Omniscient
March 3rd 2023

"We are so sorry for your loss" Janae says to the woman speaking for her children and herself.

Cassandra and Desmond looked around the room seeing if they noticed someone.

Desmond elbowed Cassandra making her look at him, "the man look like he dying" he said making Cassandra look over at the man.

"Stop" she said on the verge of laughter.

"Thank you Janae we—" the lady cut herself off with a sob, "we really appreciate it"

"Cassandra, ohhh you're so big now" this woman said coming up and hugging Cassandra before speaking again, "I remember when you were just a tiny little thing" she said pulling away.

Cassandra didn't know who she was or what to say, so she just stood there and nodded with a straight face.

"Oh and Desmond! You still have the same chubby little cheeks" the woman exclaimed pinching Desmond's cheeks.

Cassandra laughed and walked to the food table. She thought of what she wanted before grabbing a plate and putting some fruit on it.

"Your fat ass left me over there with that weird lady" Desmond said walking up to Cassandra with a mug on his face.

Cassandra chuckled, "my fat ass? Boy you're two years younger than me and weigh a hundred more pounds than I do, don't play" she said before popping a grape in her mouth.

"I hope your charger breaks" Desmond said grabbing a piece of watermelon off of her plate. The siblings stood next to eachother, eating fruit and talking about people.

"Ma you look tired" Desmond said as their mother walked towards them.

"I am—all these damn people in here, it's making me hot" Janae said shaking her head.

"Janae" a male voice said making the three look at where the voice came from.

"Dad?" Cassandra said lowly looking at her father for the first time in years.

"James what—what are you doing here?"

"Nikki invited me—how have you all been?" James asked his ex wife and two children.

"We good nigga" Desmond answered for his sister and mother.

"Desmond watch your mouth" Janae said to her son.

"No no, it's fine Janae—I deserve it"

"How's Kimberly" their mother asked to be friendly.

"Mom" Cassandra said making her mother shake her head.

"Don't start Nicole" her mother said before speaking, "how is she James"

"She's good—we're good" James awkwardly said feeling the tension.

"Well it was nice seeing you, we're heading out" Janae says before walking away.

—————

"When are we decorating your place baby?" Cassandra asked Bryson as they were on the phone.

"Whenever"

"You look very handsome with that hairstyle" she said looking at his barrel twist.

"Thanks" he slightly smiled.

"I seen my dad today"

Bryson raised his eyebrows, "how that go?"

She shrugged, "I didnt say anything to him—it was weird, he still looks the same"

"My mom was bothered by it though, she never stutters and she did today when she was talking to him."

"Sometimes I wonder what my other siblings are like" she spoke out loud and Bryson sat quietly, listening to her thoughts.

"Do you ever think about your brother?" She asked.

"No" he mumbled.

"Are you mad with him?"

"No, it don't matter now" he shrugged.

The young couple sat in silence for a few minutes before Bryson spoke up.

"You said you was flexible right?" He said making her nod 'yes'.

"Lemme eat it while you doing a handstand" he said making her laugh.

"Bryson" she said before bussing out in laughter.

He raised one of his eyebrows, "you laughing, I'm serious"

"I-I, okay" she chuckled seeing no reason for her to say no, "but not right now I'm on my period"

"Igh" he said playing the game.

"I'm getting my hair done tomorrow after school"

"Yea?, whatchu gettin?" He asked still playing the game.

"A leave-out with straight hair"

"Ion know what a leave-out is" he said.

"You do baby, I had it before" she said making him shaking his head.

"Ion know what that is"

Cassandra sighed, rolling her eyes.

"I remember now" he lied making a small smile come on her face.

"Good because I did not feel like showing you" she said softly. She saw that her phone was dying so she reached for her charger. Once she pulled her phone up it didn't charge.

"The heck?"

"What?" Bryson asked.

"My charger isn't working —DESMOND IM GOING TO KILL YOU!"

"What he do?" Bryson chuckled.

"Earlier he said that he hopes my charger breaks later and it actually did" she said before getting her backup charger and plugging her phone up.

"Luckily I have a backup" she spoke before she yawned, "go to sleep with me"

"I'm not tired"

"It's ten o'clock on a school night, go to sleep Bryson" she said firmly.

"Yes ma'am" he said turning off his game system and getting in his bed.

"Good night mama" she heard him say before drifting off to sleep.