Chapter 11: Bathilda Bagshot

They stand silently. Then:

Blaise: Guys...
Theo: Yeah?

"What now?" Monty sighs.

Hermione: Someone's watching us. By the gate.

"Great." Monty rolled his eyes.

Athena nods, careful not to look too soon, then glances up. A STOOPED FIGURE, barely discernible in the drifting snow, stands in the shadows of the church. She -- it is distinctly female, and older -- doesn't move initially -- as if wanting Athena to see her -- then turns away.

Athena: C'mon

"Oh yes, let's all follow the creepy lady and get killed!" Barty said sarcastically.

EXT. TOWN CENTER - NIGHT (MOMENTS LATER)

All light has left the sky. The stooped figure hobbles along, past the pub, where shadows play against the windows and muffled voices can be heard. Athena and the others follow.

EXT. NARROW ALLEY - NIGHT (MOMENTS LATER)

Hermione eyes the woman ahead, then looks about their surroundings, feeling trapped.

Ron: I don't think this is a good idea.
Theo: We look like ordinary Muggles.
Athena: Exactly!
Blaise: Muggles who've just been laying flowers on your parents' grave.

Just then, up ahead, the stooped woman holds up her hand and the quintet stop. Seconds later, a group of SNATCHERS passes by the alley. As they vanish, the woman continues on.

Athena: Relax. This is right. I know it.

"Bulllshhiiiittttt."

EXT. LANE - NIGHT (MOMENTS LATER)

The woman hobbles on. The lane is lined with modest cottages with small and tidy gardens. Hermione barely gives them a glance, nervously eyeing the woman ahead, before realizing she is walking alone.

She turns, sees Athena standing several yards back, staring at a dark cottage, its garden overgrown with weeds, its roof entirely covered in ivy and snow. Hermione returns to her, looks. GASPS. Ron, Theo and Blaise look and their faces become solemn.

Everyone gapes at the screen. Their faces pale as they see the destruction of the Potters home. Mia and Monty close their eyes and turn their heads away. James and Lily couldn't take their eyes off the screen.

Hermione: Oh my god. Athena...
Athena: This is where they died. This is where he murdered them...the last ever place I saw them...in the flesh

James and Lily grab hold of Athena's hands.

Theo studies Athena's bitter profile, then the house, careful not to disturb the moment with words. Absently, Athena places her fingers upon the locket at her chest. It is trembling -- over-so-slightly. Then, without turning, while still staring at the house, Athena speaks:

Athena: You're Bathilda, aren't you?

Hermione blinks, confused, then turns and jumps. The old woman is standing only yards away, watching them.

Sirius and Barty scream. Dumbledore tenses and looks away from the screen.

INT. BATHILDA BAGSHOT'S HOUSE - NIGHT (MOMENTS LATER)

The door rattles open and tiny BATHILDA BAGSHOT hobbles inside, followed first by Athena, then Hermione and Blaise, lastly Ron and Theo, Hermione wrinkles her nose. As Bathilda exits the room, Hermione glances about.