Chapter 7: Tea leaves

As BRIDGE and CASTLE glimmer in the distance, Hagrid emerges from the Forbidden Forest, dragging a fistful of dead FERRETS by the tail. A BIRD appears, circles his head playfully, CHIRP-CHIRP-CHIRPING merrily before it... flutters off, pin-wheeling past flowers, into a BIRDBATH, finally coming to rest upon... an ANCIENT TREE. It TWITTERS cheerfully, singing its lovely song, when -- THWOCK! -- a branch punts the bird into the air. As feathers fly, the WHOMPING WILLOW resumes its shape.

Many students try not to laugh whilst the animal loving students frown.

Athena, Ron and Hermione sit on fat little pouffes in a murky, incense-laden room, along with Neville, Dean, Seamus, LAVENDER BROWN, PARVATI PATIL and others.

"Oh not divination" cried Lily "it's the worst subject" Marlene continued getting many nods of agreement.

Professor Trelawney(O.S): Welcome, my children. In this room, you shall explore the mysterious art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess...

A crimson scrim FLUTTERS and SYBIL TRELAWNEY, Divination Professor, glides dramatically INTO VIEW, eyes huge and bug-like behind enormous glasses.

Professor Trelawney: ... the Sight. Hello. I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future. But know this. One either has the Gift or not. It cannot be divined from the pages of a book. Books only cloud one's Inner Eye.
Hermione: [under her breath] What rubbish.

Ron spins and frowns at Hermione, Athena turns her head to look at the girl with a raised eyebrow.

Ron: Where'd you come from?
Hermione: Me? I've been here all along.

"No you wasn't" Remus looked at the girl suspiciously, Hermione turned her head and looked anywhere but at him. The Ravenclaws, Remus and Lily try to figure out what Hermione was hiding.

Athena: [turning her head back to the Professor] You are a terrible liar Hermione [Hermione looks at Athena, a hint of worry in her eyes]

"She's right yano but don't worry my little Bambi will teach you" James nodded his head, Lily smacked the boy around his head and started scolding him.

Professor Trelawney: [spinning on Neville] You, boy! Is your grandmother well?
Neville: I... I think so.
Professor Trewlawney: I wouldn't be so sure of that [Athena frowns at that and looks towards Neville, making sure he's okay. He just smiles at her]

"Is she okay?" Questioned a worried Frank "Yes she's fine dad don't worry you and I both know that woman could out live all of us" Neville laughed, gaining a few chuckles.

Professor Trelawney: The first term will be devoted to the reading of tea leaves. If all
goes well, we will proceed to palmistry, fire omens, and finally... the crystal ball [eyeing Parvati] By the way, dear, beware a red-haired man.

Parvati eyes Ron dubiously. Edges her pouffe away. Athena laughs and Ron playfully glares at her.

"She wasn't wrong was she Ron" Athena taunted making said boy throw a pillow at her, Athena ducked out the way whilst Fred caught it with one hand, glaring at his brother.

Professor Trelawney: Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty
bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice. And in late spring, one of our number will... leave us forever.

Lily, Marlene, Remus and Molly all roll their eyes at the woman thinking the same thing, 'divination is a load of bullshit'.

As the class exchanges uneasy glances, Trelawney smiles brightly.

Professor Trelawney: Well then. Shall we?

Inside, a CLOUD of TEA LEAVES mutates oddly. Athena, sitting opposite Ron now, frowns at the leaves, consults the SYMBOLS in the textbook (Unfogging the Future) at her elbow. Trelawney walks amongst them, robes flowing.

Professor Trelawney: Broaden your minds, my dears. And allow your eyes to see... beyond.

Trelawney takes Lavender Brown's cup, peers inside.

Professor Trelawney: A five-leaf clover... You can expect to wake with a horrible rash tomorrow morning, dear [then, casually] Mr. Longbottom, after you've broken your first cup...

CA-CHINK! Neville fumbles the cup in his hands and the brittle CRASH of CHINA is heard.

"Oh please THATS not seeing into the future, he's just got Alice and Franks genes the amount of times they've dropped shit and it's smashed" Marlene rolled her eyes, Alice leaned over her sofa and smacked Marlene round the head, making her shriek and cry dramatically. Everyone agreed with Marlene's statement though.

Professor Trelawney: ... would you be so kind as to select one of the blue ones? I'm
rather partial to the pink [pausing by Ron] What do you see in Ms. Potter's cup, Mr. Weasley?
Athena: [whispering and rolling her eyes] Oh here we go [Ron kicks her leg]
Ron: Well. She's got a wonky sort of cross -- that's trials and suffering. But this lot here could be the sun -- that's great happiness. So... she's going to suffer but be very happy about it
Athena: Well that's nothing new [She laughs making the rest of her class laugh too]

Professor Trelawney takes the cup, peers inside, and gasps.

Professor Trelawney: Ahhh!
Parvati: What is it, Professor?

Trelawney regards Athena with a mixture of pity and fear. Athena just sits there unamused with the whole situation.

"You're such a mood Athena" Giggle Dorcas, Athena flips her hair over her shoulder and smirks, Mia and Monty share a look 'just like James'.

Professor Trelawney: My dear girl... You have the Grim.
Seamus: The Grin? What's the Grin?
Parvati: The Grim. Not the grin, you idiot.
Dean: But what does it mean, Professor?
Bem: 'The Grim...'

All turn, see Bem bent over his textbook.

Bem:[Reading from his book] 'Taking the form of a giant spectral dog, it is among the darkest omens in our world. It is an omen... of death.'

"Well he's cheerful" Sirius said making Athena and Fred laugh.

Athena peers into her cup. The tea leaves shift. The dog disappears. And a new image emerges slowly... Sirius Black.

"Look it's you Padfoot" James jumps up and down in his seat pointing at the screen "Dont I look handsome" Sirius winks, Remus looks at the two boys with a 'are you serious' face whilst Lily puts her head in her hands and just mumbles "I marry that idiot".

——————————————————————————————————————————
A/N:
Hello my loves!
How was this chapter?
Not James being scolded by Lily😂
Have a great day/night
Make sure you stay hydrated and take your medication otherwise 'the Grim' will come after you🤍
I love you!

⚡️Mischief Managed⚡️