Chapter 16: The dueling club

Notice-Board: DUELING CLUB! First Meeting Tonight. A golden stage has been erected. Lockhart struts atop it. Athena, Ron, Hermione and good number of other students watch.

"WE SHOULD HAVE A DUELING CLUB!" "Absolutely not! I can't imagine what you 4 would do now can you please stop standing on the sofa, Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, Mr. Lupin and Mr. Pettigrew"

Lockhart: Gather round! Gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent. In light of the dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club, to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions -- for full details, see my published works. [Athena rolls her eyes]

"Same girl same" Dorcas smiled "Athena is such a mood" Marlene continued.

The boy next to Athena, Justin-Finch Fletchley, turns to her.

Justin: That Lockhart's something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap. [offering his hand]
Athena: Boy are you dense in the head? [Ron snorts]
Justin: [smiles nervously] Justin Finch-Fletchley. Hufflepuff.

Everybody laughs at on-screen Athena. Athena stands up and says "Am I wrong?" She turns around with her arms out, Lockharts Haters Club all shake their heads.

Athena: Nice to meet you. I'm --
Justin: I know who you are. We all do. Even us Muggle-borns.

Justin grins agreeably, looks back to the stage, where Professor Snape has joined Lockhart.

Lockhart: Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him, never fear!
Ron: What's the fun in that?

People laugh at Ron.

Athena: I know right! 2 galleons Snape puts blondie on his arse in 5 seconds
Ron: That's being generous! I don't think he'll last 2 seconds [They smirk at each other and shake hands]

Everyone laughs even harder and starts making their own bets.

Lockhart and Snape face each other and bow. They turn, walk ten paces, then... SPIN... wands poised like swords.

Lockhart: As you can see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position. On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course.
Athena: What a shame [eyes Snape] I wouldn't count on that though Snape looks like he's going to kill him.

"Kill him" "Go on Snape have him"

Lockhart: One-two-three --
Snape: Expelliarmus!

A dazzling flash of scarlet light bursts forth and blasts Lockhart off his feet and into the wall behind. Athena and Ron cheer.

"Let's go Snapey boy" "That was awesome" "Good job you slimey git"

Hermione: Do you think he's all right?
Athena/Ron: Who cares!
Lockhart: [rising unsteadily] Well, there you have it. That was a Disarming Charm. As you see, I've lost my wand. [as Hermione returns it] Ah, thank you, Miss Granger. Yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy..

"Bull fucking shit" Frank said "I agree Longbottom" Lucius nodded his head after that people threw insults at on-screen Lockhart.

Snape: Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, Professor.
Lockhart: An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?
Snape: Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house. Malfoy, perhaps.