Chapter 6: Welcome and Warning

SPLASH!... a CARRIAGE WHEEL shatters the glassy surface as we TILT UP, catch a procession of HORSELESS CARRIAGES, carrying students toward the glimmering castle. Gradually, the sweet sound of a CHOIR rises on the air, a FLASH of LIGHTNING bleaches the night sky and we -- ... the CAMERA as it GLIDES TOWARD the windows of the Great Hall, TOWARD the CANDLELIT SILHOUETTES glimmering within, PASSING THROUGH the glass.

Hogwarts Choir: In the cauldron boil and bake, Fillet of a fenny snake, scale of a dragon, tooth of Wolf, witches' mummy, maw and gulf.

Cut to the great hall, where this is being sung by a choir of students who are holding frogs. As they sing, lighting flashes outside.

Hogwarts Choir: Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble. Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble. Double, double, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble. Something wicked this way comes!

At the High Table, Lupin sits with SEVERUS SNAPE, MINERVA McGONAGALL, RUBEUS HAGRID and ALBUS DUMBLEDORE. ARGUS FILCH, Hogwarts' caretaker, stands grimly to the side as red-eyed MRS. NORRIS switches her tail at his feet. As the choir's song concludes, DUMBLEDORE rises, beaming over the sea of black hats.

Everyone claps, whilst Neville looks proud at Trevor.

Dumbledore: Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which, while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair... [Minnie clears her throat] Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor.

The marauders and friends plus the future gen clap and cheer loudly, the rest of the great hall clap politely. "Best DADA teacher we ever had!" Shouts Athena all of the future gen agree, making Remus go bright red.

Amid SCATTERED APPLAUSE, Athena, Neville, Ron, Hermione CLAP LOUDLY.

Hermione: Of course! That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Athena.
Dumbledore: As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!

Loud cheers were all that was heard in the great hall.

Athena, Ron, and Hermione stare at each other -- stunned -- then APPLAUD vigorously. Hagrid turns ruby red, rises, and nearly topples the staff table, sending water goblets weaving.

Dumbledore: [turning grave] Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts -- at the request of the Ministry of Magic -- will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban.

"What!" "Fuck right off" "No you can't do that" "Dementors with kids are you crazy" Insults where shouted at Dumbledore who just sat there, Minnie glared at Dumbledore trying to control her anger. However, Lily had other ideas, she sent hex after hex at Dumbledore. Soon her friends joined in, then James and his family plus friends did, next thing the whole of the great hall sent hexes at Dumbledore whom couldn't block all of them. Athena sat there cross legged stuffing her face with popcorn, the rest of the future gen were either laughing or joined in. After all of the commotion with Dumbledore v the great hall everyone sat down and put their wands away. Dumbledore didn't look recognisable.

A MURMUR of apprehension fills the hall. At the Slytherin table, DRACO MALFOY, flanked by the ever- present CRABBE and GOYLE, catches Athena's eye, feigns a dead faint. Athena sticks her middle finger up and waves it about in Malfoys face, Ron and Neville laugh whilst Hermione rolls her eyes. When Athena turns back around to face her friends, her face endures a massive grin. Athena looks at Hermione and immediately stops grinning from seeing Hermione's face.

Dumbledore: The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving.

"They shouldn't be there in the fucking first place" Screams an annoyed Regulus. Barty, Rabastan and Evan all agree.

Students exit the Great Hall, scale the Marble Staircase. Athena, Neville, Ron and Hermione arrive at the seventh floor landing and approach the FAT LADY in the portrait.

Athena: Fortuna Major.

The Gryffindors trail through the common room, the girls heading one way, boys the other.

"I'll never get over how homely and comfy their common room looks" sighed a 5th year Ravenclaw.

While those around her sleep, Athena takes the PHOTOGRAPH of her parents, sets it next to her bed, she smiles at her parents photograph, then glances around in quiet contentment.

Ron: Good to be home, eh, Athena?

Athena turns -- caught -- and finds Ron studying her from his own bed, Scabbers cradled in his hand. Athena nods and turns to the window.. The Dementors drift to their positions outside the grounds. Athena continues to stare.

Athena: Yeah....

As her breath CLOUDS THE GLASS, we gradually...FADE OUT.

——————————————————————————————————————————
A/N:
Hello my loves!
How was this chapter?
Dumbledore is definitely going to die waaayyy before Athena's even born now😂
Have a good day/night
Make sure you stay hydrated and take your medication otherwise you'll be hexed too🤍
I love you!

⚡️Mischief Managed⚡️