Chapter 15: Love Potion madness

INT./EXT. SLUGHORN'S CLASSROOM - DAY

As the class bell rings, a group of first years rise.

Slughorn: Now don't forget to look over the chapter on antidotes. I'll be poisoning one of you next time we meet. I'm joking! Off you go! Don't forget your rat tails, Miss Alys

"I'd love to poison Dumbledore." James muttered, "I'd love to do it to Peter." Sirius glared at Peter. "We would love to do it to Umbitch." Ron and Athena smirk.

As the tiny ones scurry out, Athena is revealed, waiting just outside the door. She enters. For a moment, Slughorn merely hums over his briefcase, unaware. Then...

Slughorn: Ah! If it isn't the Princess of Potions herself! To what do I owe the pleasure?
Athena: Well, sir, I wondered if I might ask you something
Slughorn: Ask away, my dear girl, ask away!
Athena: Well, you see, the other day I was in the Restricted Section –– in the library –– and I stumbled upon something rather odd while reading. Something about a bit of rare magic...

Lily and Hermione raise an eyebrow at Athena, who didn't look at them.

Slughorn: Yes? And exactly what was this rare magic?
Athena: I find it hard to pronounce, sir. But it got me wondering...are there some kinds of magic you're not allowed to teach?

Slughorn looks up, eyes Athena carefully.

Slughorn: I'm a Potions Professor, Athena. Perhaps your question would best be posed to Professor Snape
Athena: Yes, well, we don't exactly see eye-to-eye, sir. What I mean to say is, he's not like you. He might...misunderstand

"That's a understatement, he fucking hates you." Marlene says.

Recognition flickers in Slughorn's eyes. A glint of fear.

Slughorn: There can be no light without the dark. And so it is with magic. Myself, I have always strived to live within the light. I suggest you do the same

Slughorn gathers his briefcase, starts to exit.

Athena: Did you say the same to Tom Riddle, sir? When he came asking questions?

"Straight to the point as always," Frank chuckles.

Slughorn freezes in the doorway, then slowly turns.

Slughorn: Dumbledore put you up to this. Didn't he? Didn't he!
Athena: Sir ––

Slughorn silences her with an upraised hand. Then, without another word, he is gone.

INT. CORRIDOR - DAY

Lightning flashes. Thunder rumbles. Rain lashed the windows. Through the birdcage's grid of wires someone approaches. We rack focus...find Athena. As she passed we hold on the cage. One bird is missing. Only the black one remains. As thunder booms, the bird ruffles its feathers.

Athena glances down the corridor adjacent, sees a figure start up the car stairwell. As the shadow ascends, Athena follows.

INT. CORRIDOR - SAME TIME - DAY

The figure continues on, passes out of view. Athena follows.

"2 galleons she's following Draco." Fabian whispered to Gideon. "You're on!" Gideon smirked.

INT. CORRIDOR - DAY

Athena, still trailing. The figure turns a corridor...

INT. SEVENTH FLOOR CORRIDOR