Chapter 20: R.A.B

EXT. ASTRONOMY TOWER - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Snape leads Malfoy and Bellatrix down the spiralling staircase.

INT. SLUGHORN'S CORRIDOR - NIGHT

Snape leads on, his face a mask as he rounds a corner. Students in pajamas and robes peer at the emerald sky, then turn, stare curiously at their teacher and his companions. Snape sweeps past wordlessly. Draco averts his eyes. Bellatrix leers at a tiny first year, leans close:

Bellatrix: Boo!

"Bella," Andromeda sighs, Bellatrix smiles sheepishly.

INT. OUTSIDE GREAT HALL - NIGHT

Hearing footsteps, an Auror turns, is blasted off his feet as Snape and the others appear. Bellatrix lags, then steps to the towering doors of the Hall, peering upward, past the floating candles to the vaulted ceiling, solemn as a church. Raising her wand, she sends a fiery bolt toward the grand window opposite. As it explodes, a blast of cold air sweeps the room, extinguishing the candles. Snape turns, looks back. Bellatrix simply grins, a mad child.

Everyone looks at Bellatrix. "That's not me," Bellatrix shrugs. "That's not you?" Narcissa raises an eyebrow, Bellatrix smiles.

INT. CORRIDOR - SAME TIME - NIGHT

As Bellatrix's blast echoes, Ron, Hermione, Theo and Blaise –– racing side by side in their regular clothes –– glance at one another, dash on.

"My ass looks fat in those jeans," Blaise comments. Making everyone burst into laughter despite the growing tension.

EXT. CASTLE - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Filch, on guard, looks up, watches shards of glass spill from the window like jewels, standing transfixed as the fragments lash his face, draw blood.

"Ouch."

INT. CORRIDOR - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Athena races on, glances out a window and sees Snape and the others racing across a lower courtyard.

EXT. LOWER COURTYARD - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Malfoy slows, glancing upward, watching the students come to the windows and peer out at the emerald sky. They look like ghosts in their nightclothes.

Bellatrix: Draco! Draco! [As he turns] They'll kill you if you stay

INT. CORRIDOR - SAME TIME - NIGHT

Hermione, Ron, Theo and Blaise push through the other students, who are confused and crying. McGonagall appears, meets the Ron and Hermione's glance, continues on.

EXT. HAGRID'S HUT/GROUNDS - NIGHT

Quiet here. A view toward the castle. We hold. Slowly figures appear on the horizon. The Death Eaters. Greyback. Bellatrix, Draco. And Snape.

EXT. HOGWARTS CASTLE - NIGHT

Athena bursts through the entrance doors, wand in hand. Before her, the grounds shimmer eerily in the green glow. She sees the figures fleeing towards Hagrid's hut.

EXT. HAGRID'S HUT / GROUND - NIGHT

Snape and the others race toward the edge of the grounds. Suddenly, Snape pulls up, looks back. Sees Athena sprinting towards him. Malfoy, looking edgy, is watching Athena too.

Snape: Go on!

Just then a giant fireball erupts into the sky. Snape wheels, sees Bellatrix and the other's silhouetted against the flames. They've set Hagrid's Hut ablaze. Malfoy stands paralysed.