Chapter 2: Waste of Space

EXT. PRIVET DRIVE - DUSK

A blood-red sky hangs over the neighbourhood.

INT. DURSLEY HOUSE - ATHENA'S BEDROOM - DUSK

An eye shimmers in a shard of silver glass. Athena Potter's eye. She tosses the mirror inside a lumpy rucksack, than adds a locket, a Daily Prophet clipping entitled 'Dumbledore Remembered' above which is a photograph of its author, Elphias Doge with Dumbledore, and a notebook filled with scribblings on Horcruxes and, in large block letters, the initials 'R.A.B'. She gives the rucksack a shake, then glances about to see if she's forgotten anything. The room looks as if it's been bottled up and shaken. Dresser drawers turned out, floor covered in detritus.

"Packing for Hogwarts I see," Monty smiles, Athena looks away. "....You are going back, aren't you?" Athena stays quiet. Everyone shares a look.

Uncle Vernon (o.s.): Come now, Dudley. Hurry up!

Athena steps to the window, peers to the driveway below. Uncle Vernon rolls a large steamer trunk towards his car, followed by Dudley, who tugs an equally large trunk of his own. Athena speaks to Hedwig.

Athena: Time for the teary farewell

INT. STAIRWELL/FRONT HALLWAY - DUSK

Athena drops down the stairs. The house feels barren, desolate. Aunt Petunia stands at the mouth of the kitchen, looking around. Seeing her, Athena comes to a stop.

Aunt Petunia: I've lived in this house twenty years. And now –– in a single night –– I'm expected to leave
Athena: They'll torture you. Even Dudley. If they think you know where I'm going, they stop at noth––
Aunt Petunia: You think I don't know that? You think I don't know what they're capable of?

Her eyes pierce into Athena's green ones.

Aunt Petunia: You didn't just lose a mother that night in Godric's Hollow, you know. I lost a sister

Lily sits there in shock.

Athena studies her, taken aback.

Athena: I know. And I'm sorry...

EXT. PRIVET DRIVE - DUSK

Uncle Vernon tests the strap binding the trunks to a small trailer hitched to the back of the Dursley car, then squints awkwardly at Athena.

Uncle Vernon: Well, this is goodbye then, girl

Athena, standing by the front door, nods, eyes Petunia, who sits in the front passenger seat, a ghost behind the glass.

Dudley: I don't understand. Isn't she coming?
Uncle Vernon: Who?
Dudley: Athena
Uncle Vernon: Absolutely not
Dudley: Why?
Uncle Vernon: Well, because –– she doesn't want to, do you, girl?
Athena: Absolutely not. Besides, I'm just a waste of space. Isn't that right, Vernon?

Many glare at Vernon.

Uncle Vernon stares hard at Athena.

Uncle Vernon: Come on, Dudley, we're off

Uncle Vernon starts for the car. Dudley hesitates, then crosses the lawn to Athena, extends his hand.

Dudley: I don't think you're a waste of space
Athena: Well...thank you

"Dudley in his redemption arc era," Marlene says.

Athena grips Dudley's hand, then watches her cousin turn and mope back across the lawn.