Chapter 15: The Patronus

Butterflies flutter over the great green lawn. The GIANT SQUID breaks through the last GLAZE of ICE on the Black Lake. The Whomping Willow shakes the water from its branches...

BANG! Athena bursts through Professor Lupins door, a massive smile sketched across her face. Professor Lupin looks up and stares at Athena in confusion.

"Aww look at her face" Blaise pinched Athena's cheeks, the males in Athena's family all give Athena a look.

Professor Lupin: What's with the big smile [he leans against his desk and crosses his arms]
Athena: Oh nothing [He gives her a pointed look]
Professor Lupin: [Suspiciously] Okay whatever you say [Athena just giggles]

The women all giggle.

Athena walks over to Lupin standing opposite him. The sun beams through the window casting a golden glow across Athena's face, making her green eyes more vibrant. ANCIENT CHARTS drape the walls while gleaming SPHERES OF SPUN GLASS ORBIT one another silently. Lupin paces before a LARGE TRUNK.

Professor Lupin: You're sure about this, Athena? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level.

"She's my daughter of course she can do it" James said cockily getting a whack round the head by Mia "well he's not wrong" commented Monty, Mia glared at him.

Athena: If Black can fight the Dementors, I need to know how too.

Lupin studies Athena -- as if conflicted -- then decides.

Professor Lupin: Very well. The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever hear of it?

Athena shakes her head.

Professor Lupin: A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The Dementor feeds on it instead of him or her.

Just then, the trunk RATTLES VIOLENTLY. As Athena's eyes wander, Lupin SNAPS his fingers, brings her attention back.

Professor Lupin: But in order for it to work, you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful.

The teachers all nod.

Athena thinks a bit. Then... nods.

Professor Lupin: Got something? Good. Let it fill you up. Lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum. Without your wand...

Athena: Expecto Patronum...
Professor Lupin: Right then. Shall we?

Athena nods, raises her wand. Lupin, watching closely, reaches over, grips the lid of the TRUNK...

Professor Lupin: Concentrate, Athena. Concentrate...

"Let's go Athena!" Shouts Marlene

As Lupin FLINGS open the case, Athena OPENS HER EYES. In the sun's BLOOD-LIGHT, the Dementor looks particularly horrific.

Athena: Expecto... Patronum...

The torches on the wall FLICKER as a CHILL BREEZE fills the chamber. A SCREAM ECHOES distantly. Athena's hand trembles. Her eyes begin to roll up...

"Noooooo" whines James

Athena: Expecto... Expecto...
Professor Lupin: Here!

CRACK! -- the Dementor mutates into a SILVERY WHITE ORB.