Chapter 24: Sacrifice Play

They enter a dark room, with broken pieces all around it.

Hermione: I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

"Neither do we" said the great hall.

Athena: Where are we? A graveyard?

"It doesn't look like a graveyard" Remus tilted his head.

Ron: This is no graveyard. [sighs] It's a chessboard. [Walks out onto the marble board and flames light, illuminating the board and GIANT players. Athena and Hermione come up with him.]

"Oh no no no" said Molly and Lily. James took ahold of Lily's hand whilst Fred cuddled up to Athena. Hermione, Ron and Athena all share a look 'no one going to like this'

Athena: There's the door.

They walk across the board, towards the door. Suddenly, as they reach a line of pawns, the pawns bring up their swords. The three jump and back up.

Hermione: Now what do we do?
Ron: It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Athena, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. As for me, I'll be a knight. [They all take their places.]
Hermione: What happens now?
Ron: [aboard a horse.] Well, white moves first, and then...we play. [A pawn on the other side moves forward. Ron studies the game.]
Hermione: Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?
Ron: You there! D-5! [A black pawn moves forward, diagonal to the white pawn. The white pawn raises its swords and smashes the black one. The three jump.] Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess!

"NO" a petrified Mia says, Monty kisses the top of her head as wraps his arm around her shoulder. He might be scared but he's got to stay strong for his wife.

The game continues. Pieces smash each other, boom! Boom!

"BOOM" giggled Bill, Charlie and Tonks.

Ron: Castle to E-4! [Smash!]
Ron: Pawn to C-3!

Smash! Boom! The Queen turns, and smashes a piece! Athena, Ron and Hermione wince. The Queen turns again. Both Ron and Athena study the game.

"Fred darling, I think it's best if you go sit with Ron and your family for this next part" Athena said quietly, Fred looks at her then nods his head. He stands up and walks towards his family's sofa. George moves over so the Fred can sit in between him and Ginny.

Athena: Wait a minute.
Ron: You understand right, Athena. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King.
Athena: No, Ron! No!
Hermione: What is it?
Athena: He's going to sacrifice himself!
Hermione: No, Ron, you can't! [Ron closes his eyes.] There must be another way!

"No Ron don't" whispered Molly and Arthur.

Ron: [turns to face Hermione.] Do you want to stop Snape or not? Athena, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you. [Athena slowly and hesitantly nods.] Knight...to H-3.

Many pureblooded Slytherins look at Ron with respect for sacrificing himself for his friends. They start to look at the trio in a different light.

Ron's horse moves forward, slides and stops.

Ron: Check.

The Queen turns and advances. Ron breathes faster, clutching the steel reins. The Queen stops. SMASH! Ron goes flying off the horse and lands on the floor, unconscious.

Ron: Ahhhh!

"RON" screams all the Weasleys and Prewetts, Molly starts to tear up whilst the Prewett twins try to stay strong but they were incredibly scared for their nephew. Charlie climbs up on Rons lap and hugs him.

Athena: RON! [Hermione starts walking to him.] NO! Don't move! Dont forget, we're still playing. [Hermione moves back. Athena walks the diagonal in front of the King.] Checkmate. [The Kings sword falls onto the ground victory. Athena breathes out and then the two run to Ron. They bend beside him.] Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right...I have to go on.
Hermione: You'll be okay, Athena. You're a great witch, you really are.
Athena: Not as good as you.
Hermione: [smile] Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Athena, just be careful.
Athena: I'll try, make sure you're careful too, you're like the sister I never had I don't want to loose you or Ron

Hermione and Athena look at each other and smile, glad that they met, many had smiled at on-screen Athena and Hermiones interaction. Everyone prays that Athena comes out safe, forgetting that she was in the room with them.

Athena nods and stands, walking away she turns back and looks at Hermione and Ron one last time before continuing her walk.

———————————————————————————————————————

A/N:
Hello my loves!
How's this chapter?
I love how Athena sees Hermione as a sister🥺
Have a great day/night
Make sure to stay hydrated and take your medication otherwise Hermione will hit you with her book🤍
I love you!

⚡️Mischief Managed⚡️