Chapter 78

"Based on last year's taxation, there is no change."

"The royal court's tribute fee is still fifty cents per person."

None of the farmers had eaten lunch, so Ji Yangzong followed them anxiously when he came back.

He pointed out that if he had listened to the tax earlier, he would have saved himself from having to eat lunch.

Hearing the announcement that Ji Yangzong had returned from the gathering, everyone let out a sigh of relief. Although the taxes last year were not low, the fact that they had not changed was already the best result.

Seeing that everyone looked relieved after the dust had settled, Ji Yangzong looked embarrassed, but he would always say it no matter how difficult it was.

"Don't rush to yell, I haven't finished speaking yet."

Ji Yangzong said: "In addition to court taxes, this year the state government has issued a new policy requiring the payment of additional government taxes."

"The number is determined based on head count, and each person pays two hundred coins as government tax. In addition, based on the number of households, a household with less than five people pays one stone of grain, and more than five people pay two stones, in increments of five."

As soon as these words came out, the pot exploded as expected.

"Isn't it like this is like exploiting us twice? Government taxes have never existed before, but now they suddenly appear!"

"What's the point? There has to be a name!"

Ji Yangzong said: "The prefect said that the government taxes should be used to provide relief to the victims when disasters occur and to maintain water conservancy in Tongzhou."

He didn't think anything he said made sense, because he couldn't understand how the magistrate could be so confident and confident in his announcement at the meeting, and he looked like he was planning for the prosperity of Tongzhou.

It was clearly to increase the burden on the people, and all the officials in the prefecture actually supported the prefect and flattered them.

Ji Yangzong knew that the entire prefecture had been completely consolidated in the half year since the new governor took office.

"Isn't this an intentional attempt to kill us people? The weather is bad and the taxes are heavy. Let's just go and throw ourselves into the river together. How can we survive in such a world?"

The farmers complained incessantly, and the entire Ji family yard was in a state of commotion.

In an already poor family, women and children couldn't help but wipe their eyes in public.

"No hope, no hope."

The most annoying thing is that according to the court's taxation, slaves kept by wealthy families pay twice the oral tax as ordinary free people, and it is paid by the master's family.

This can be used to balance the suppression of wealthy families, and it can also be regarded as a way to obtain some justice for the common people.

However, this time the government tax was paid in the name of paying money and grain to prepare for relief in the disaster year. It was said to be for the people, but everyone was waiting to pay the tax.

The income of wealthy households is equal to that of ordinary people. Isn't it intentional bias?

"Why should I pay government taxes? Although I have paid government taxes before, I was not so evil as to pay such a huge amount!"