Chapter 13

"Mom, what's going on with uncle today? Didn't we discuss it before that uncle, as the eldest son of the You family, will announce the marriage in front of everyone at the banquet today?"

"Why did you say you were preparing for the exam and didn't entertain me well? Doesn't this make the Ji family feel guilty? As an elder, why didn't you mention anything about the marriage? Uncle Ji's face was not good when he left."

After the You family party was over, You Lingxiao, who had just returned home, couldn't help but ask urgent questions.

Mother You and Sun Yuanniang saw that her son was as anxious as an ant on a hot pot, but she said slowly: "Look at how anxious you are, you are already a civil servant, and you don't have any stability at all."

You Lingxiao suppressed his impatience and said in a calmer tone: "Isn't it just my mother here, and there are no outsiders?"

Sun Yuanniang had a smile on her face when she heard this, and she waved: "Erlang, come here."

Sun Yuanniang pushed a box in front of the table forward: "Look what this is?"

You Lingxiao opened the box in confusion and took out a transparent jade pendant.

"Who gave this beauty to me?"

The joy on Sun Yuanniang's face became even brighter: "This is a gift from Mr. Xue, my colleague, saying it is a congratulatory gift for you."

"Since you are anxious and ask why Mom didn't mention your marriage at the banquet, Mom will talk to you nicely."

"What the elder said today is right. My son has already won the imperial examination at a young age. He has a good career and is not to mention handsome. There are only a few such talents in the scientific examination room."

You Lingxiao immediately understood what his mother meant, but still said: "I don't understand what mother said has anything to do with the Ji family's marriage."

"My son, now that you have a good career, how can you be hastily buried in such an ordinary family?"

Sun Yuanniang said: "The Ji family is quite respectable in our village, but what is it outside of this village? Can the Ji family pave the way for you?"

"Mom, do you mean you want to regret your marriage?"

You Lingxiao just blurted out his words, and then said: "No, this matter must not be decided! Not to mention that Taoyu and I were childhood sweethearts, and Li Zheng has been good to our family these years. Everyone in the village also knows it. This marriage is going on, if I regret it rashly, how much publicity will be lost, and if I become an official by then, it will also hinder my moral character and reputation."

"Mom, we can't do that either emotionally or rationally."

"Look at how anxious you are. When will my mother say she's breaking off the engagement? Let me tell you the pros and cons."

Sun Yuanniang laughed and said: "Master Tongzhi appreciates you very much. He even sent someone to bring you something this morning, and his young lady Yunying is not married. Isn't this a clear hint?"

"Although the governor of the state is not a big official, my mother heard that the governor of the state has been an official for generations and has a wide network of contacts, which is better than some senior officials. If my son can have a capable Yue family, his career in the future will be sure It's also much smoother. This is a rare opportunity!"

She looked at You Lingxiao and said alertly: "Although the candidates who have been elected in high school are already great, there are not only one or two candidates in Jiangnan City. Looking at it, there are many who can't plan and live in poverty." Erlang , if you don't seize the opportunity that comes to your door, you will regret it in the future."