Matt Espinosa

QOTD- fav song atm?

_________________

The sky lit up as a flash of lighting exploded out onto the horizon, the loud rumble of the thunder following soon after. Heavy rain drops slapped against the pavement as they hit the ground, creating a rhythm that would repeat itself in my mind. The dark grey sky and heavy rain clouds take me back to a place I really don't want to go too. Last summer was a summer I would never forget, even though I really wanted too. It was where I met him and it was where we said our final goodbyes.

I spent all of my summer last year at a camp somewhere in the middle of California. It wasn't anything special; I went there every year for as long as I could remember. But this year was different, he was there and he changed everything. I remember when I first saw him; he was laughing at something someone said. His laugh was so enchanting and his smile could make even the darkest days bright. He was one of those people that everyone loved, you couldn't not love him, he was just that lovable. 

He lifted his head and glanced at me, giving me a small smile that made my head spin. "What's your name?" He asked, snapping me out of my daze. Shit, I was staring at him; he caught me staring at him. 

"Y/N." I replied. My voice was so quiet I was shocked that he could actually hear. My thoughts were spinning at 100 miles a minute. Did he find me creepy? Why was he talking to me? Is there something on my face?

"I'm Matt," He says, running his hand through his brown, blondish hair. "I couldn't help but catch you looking at me,"

Oh shit. "Sorry about that." You mumble.

"It's okay Y/N; it gives me a reason to talk to you so that's a good thing." He winks at me.

"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Well, yeah. You seem interesting."

"Is that a good thing?"

"It's a very good thing," His friends call out to Matt in the distance, telling him to join them. "I should probably go now. I'll see you around, okay?" You nod at him and he jogs off with his friends, leaving you wondering what was so interesting about you and why a boy like Matt thought you were interesting.

There was no way I could have known how much Matt would impact my life at that moment, but boy, did that boy change my life. There is no way I could ever go back to that camp without thinking about him. It may seem like I'm over reacting, but you still don't know the whole story. That summer changed everything.

The fire danced before my eyes and due to my getting distracted easily, I completely forget about the marshmallow I was roasting. I got lost in the crackling fire with its flying embers and strong smoke that would stay in my hair and clothes for days.

"Y/N! It's burning! You're burning it!" One of my friends screams out at me, I honestly can't remember who it was, not even their name, but that's not important.

I jump an inch off the log and immediately pull back the poor, now very black marshmallow. I throw the burnt pile of mush onto the ground and sit back down on the log. I am not someone you should trust with marshmallows; I burn them 90% of the time.

A large shadow looms over me and I can feel someone's weight rest onto the log. "Would you like me to make you a marshmallow?" Without even looking at the person, I know it's Matt.

"That'd be nice if you don't mind. Marshmallows hate me." 

Matt pokes a few marshmallows on the stick and begins roasting them. "It's not that they hate you, you're just probably too hot for them to handle, so they burn." He says cheekily, smiling at me.