27

- If I Could Fly; One Direction -
- Teach Me How To Love; Shawn Mendes -
- that way; Tate McRae -

Aurora Holland

It was silent as I sat at the foot of Carter's bed, watching as he made his way around the room comfortably. He was gathering stuff for me to take a shower, even being as kind as to offer me some clothes to wear. It was a lot like last time, except this time I was staying the night instead of just waiting on my clothes to get washed.

"We have a couple of guest rooms for you to choose from," Carter spoke up from where he stood by his dresser. "I can show you and you can just choose whichever is most appealing to you, or whatnot."

"Okay," I said, not knowing what else to say. I've more than calmed down, and at this point, I was just grateful he was being so kind. He didn't have to do this, any of it. He didn't even have to let me in when he saw me standing outside.

I felt horrible, and I know I probably looked it as well. My head hurt from pulling at my roots, my hand and face hurt, and I could feel my cheeks still puffed up from how much crying I did.

"I hope these are okay," Carter said, causing my eyes to drift back up to him again. He towered over me, clothes neatly folded up in his hands. They were dark colors, which was what I saw him wearing most of the time.

"It's fine, thank you," I told him, gently taking the clothes from him.

"Before you freak out, I put some boxers in there," He awkwardly said, scratching at the top of his head. "I did it because I know you have no clothes here and surely you don't want to put dirty underwear back on after you get all clean."

"That's very thoughtful, thank you," I said again, running my thumbs over the top of the pile of clothes.

"I can't really help you in the bra department, but I did what I could." He continued. "You can shower in my bathroom or the hall bathroom, whichever you feel more comfortable in."

"Okay," I said. "The hall bathroom will be fine."

He nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets. "There should be some towels and soap and everything you need in there already including an unopened toothbrush. Whenever you're done I can show you the rooms."

Taking that as my cue to leave, I stood up from the bed. My legs felt like jello, and my calves were cramping slightly from how much walking I'd done today.

I didn't spare Carter another glance as I left his bedroom, quickly making my way to the hall bathroom. It was the same bathroom as the one I used the day of Logan's party, the one I meant to walk into when I found myself in Carter's bedroom by accident.

It was themed in the color blue, which is expected for a guest bathroom. I locked the door behind me and sat my pile of clothes on the kitchen sink. I started the shower first thing to give the water some time to warm up, and in the meantime, I took a glance at myself in the mirror.

I'd yet to look at my appearance until now, but now that I see it I'm surprised Carter didn't turn me away.

My cheeks were red and puffy, my right cheek bright red from where my mom slapped me. My mascara was smeared down both of my cheeks, and dark circles under my eyes caused me to look like a Tim Burton character. My hair was strewn everywhere, knotted, and flipped in every other way.

I looked like I just got the shit beat out of me, honestly.

Steam began to fill the small bathroom, the mirror growing foggy. It caused my reflection to begin to disappear, and so instead of staring at myself in the mirror, I began to undress. My muscles hurt, and I couldn't wait to get in the shower and let the hot water relieve some of the aches. I took my bandages off before getting in, feeling slightly bad since Carter had just recently put them on.