25

- It May Sound Strange; Spencer Sutherland -
- Dollhouse; Melanie Martinez - 
- Hard To Believe; Wallows - 
- Mind Is A Prison; Alec Benjamin -
- Must Have Been The Wind; Alec Benjamin - 

I just want to add another disclaimer at the top of the chapter: this story contains very sensitive topics such as self-harm, abuse, etc. I know I've added it at the beginning of this story so I didn't have to add one at the top of every chapter, but due to how intense this chapter gets toward the beginning, I wanted a reminder. I won't continue to put one at the top of every chapter, considering there's a warning at the beginning of the story. Anyways, carry on and I'm always here for you if you're struggling <3

Aurora Holland

"Did you finish your homework, Aurora?" My mother asked from across the table. We were currently eating a quick dinner of macaroni and cheese, just the four of us. I nodded as I was in the middle of chewing, not wanting to get in trouble for not having 'table manners' or whatever it'd be that my mom comes up with this time.

"All caught up as best as I can be," I said after finishing my bite. "Even for next week's assignments."

"Good," My father spoke as he sent me a smile. "Look into any of those after-school clubs we talked about?"

"No," I lied. I had, but I knew my mother wouldn't like the answer.

I'd looked into the art clubs, even finding myself much closer to Griffin's sibling, Guin. They're a junior in high school, a year younger than Griffin and Quinn. I'd only met them once before when I met the others at the mall, but because they've been so busy with certain academic programs, there's been little conversation between the two of us.

I still really do enjoy their presence, however, and I constantly find myself studying in the library with them, Quinn, and Naia.

"Probably for the best," My mother said as she took a sip of her water. "It's already much late in the school year anyway. Attempting to join something with little experience in those things can be difficult."

"We've already had this conversation and I'd really hope that we can just drop it," I spoke before I could stop myself, already feeling my chest tighten at her words.

She hadn't even said anything extremely rude yet, but I was completely over it. She was bad before we moved to Riverway, but it's only gotten ten times worse since we've been here. It's like a flip switched in her or something, but either way, it should never have gotten this far in the first place.

"Your mouth is getting really bad lately, Aurora. I don't know who it is you've been hanging out with but it's getting ridiculous." My mother snapped, sending me a glare from across the table.

"Viv, come on--"

"No, Harold! I'm tired of hearing thing after thing with her. She's acting as if she's already an adult when she's still just a child. And don't think I forgot about what happened at the event, either." She pointed a finger at me, "It might have been a while ago, but I still haven't had the proper time to talk to you."

"Vivienne, it was long enough ago that we can drop it, okay? She behaved the best she could, she--"

"Harold, whose side are you on?" My mom cut him off again, glaring at him. "You're enabling her. You and that Jackson boy."

"What?" I asked, dropping my spoon on the table.

"Ever since you started hanging out with Lainie's eldest you've been off the rails." She waved her hand dramatically, rolling her eyes along with the gesture. "He completely disrespected me the night I met him, and I don't understand how they raised Logan up to be such a gentleman and Carter to be such a--" She stopped, realizing she was getting ahead of herself.