8

- Silence; Marshmello ft. Khalid - 

Aurora Holland

Monday came way too quickly. The weekend was gone as soon as it was there, but to be fair I was constantly on the move. When Paige wasn't dragging me to the mall or to her house, I was helping my mother around the house with things that still needed to be done after the move. Usually, my mother would've already had everything unpacked and done especially considering we've been here long enough, but she's been super busy with work on top of other duties she needed to do.

I wiped the tiredness from my eyes as I sat at my vanity. I was already ready for school minus my hair and makeup, but even then I wasn't planning on doing anything fancy. I just wanted to look less tired, and if anything look at least a little bit put together considering this was my first official day of school at Riverway High.

My outfit was something simple: a pair of jeans with a white shirt underneath a black spaghetti-string top. I have a black belt on along with a pair of black boots for shoes. It was something comfortable yet sort of stylish, and surely nothing to cause too much attention to come my way.

I quickly dried my hair before brushing through it with a detangler brush, using some detangler spray to help with the knots. When I finished doing that I pulled half of it back, tying the top half up with a black scrunchie. I let a couple of loose strands fall out of the sides to frame my face, much like Paige had done for me for the party the other night.

When I was finished with my hair I moved onto my makeup, applying light concealer to hide the bags under my eyes and any other blemishes I found. Thankfully, whenever I get acne it's only a few on my chin or my forehead, nothing too dramatic but enough to be noticed when it's there.

After concealer I applied mascara, then some highlight along my cheekbones. I felt like that was enough, considering I was only going to school and nowhere fancy.

Even then, this was a lot for me. At our old school, we were lucky we could even use lip balm. We were only able to use non-colored lip balm, meaning anything with any type of color or tint wasn't allowed. We'd get in a lot of trouble if we were seen wearing it.

When I was finished with my makeup, I gave myself one last look in the mirror. I looked okay, the best I was going to with my lack of talent in any type of beauty thing. 

This was one of the many times I wished I were Paige. She was probably sitting at her own vanity, doing a glamourous makeup look with no mess-ups, and even if she does make a mistake it takes almost nothing for her to wipe it away and fix it effortlessly.

I'm lucky if I can apply mascara without getting any on the bridge of my nose.

My phone dinged from where it sat on my nightstand, and I stood up from my spot to see what the notification was.

Paige:

On my way, be there in ten so you better be ready

I typed out a quick response and hit send before locking my phone and gathering the things I'd need for the day. That included my backpack (in which all of my notebooks and such were already in there), my earbuds, a phone charger, and some chapstick.

After spritzing some perfume I was ready to go, and it wasn't long before I was sitting at the dining room table. My entire family was already sitting there and eating breakfast, something that rarely happened at our old house.

"Eat up before you get to school, is Paige picking you up?" My mother questioned as she put some butter on her toast.

I nodded and ate a piece of bacon, not being very hungry at the moment. My stomach was reeling from the nerves of it being my first day. Anything could happen -- all the attention could be on me, nobody could pay attention to me, the people I previously met could act like they didn't know me, literally anything could happen and no matter how much I try to prepare myself for it, I know I won't be prepared enough.