048. dogs and diaries

"What the hell was that?" Pope questions. "Why would they want to kidnap Brooklyn? It doesn't make any sense."

"It's called bait." JJ says, tightly clenching his jaw.

"I am so sick of this." Sarah says as John B rubs her back.

JJ gets up, hitting the metal building he was leaning against.

"Do you think there is anyway we could trust the cops?" Sarah asks.

"The cops? You're joking, right?" JJ asks her. "You seriously think your daddy and your uncle haven't called them already?" Sarah looks down.

"I have a crazy idea. Why don't we call my parents?" Pope suggests.

"And say what, Pope?" John B asks.

"And say we're alive." Pope says. "I haven't seen my family in I don't know how long. They're probably worried sick about me. We can just call and maybe ask them to wire us some money or something."

"And put them in danger?" John B questions.

"I got a better idea." JJ says. "And faster." He holds up Jimmy's wallet.

"Of course." Zack mumbles.

"Whose is that?" Sarah asks.

"You seriously think I'm gonna go through someone's backpack and not pinch their wallet?" He questions. He takes a card out. "Jimmy Portis, 101 Cattle Wash. I bet that's where they got Brooklyn. All right? So that's where we're going."

"That's conceivable." Pope says. "But can we at least think this through?"

"You got a better idea, Pope?" JJ asks. "Come on, 101 Cattle Wash. That's where we're going.

+++

Brooklyn looks around as the truck drives along an extremely long driveway. They stop at a gate that a few guards are standing at, one having a dog on a leash.

"All right, let them in." One of the guards say. Another guard lifts the gate up and the guy drives through it, driving up to the house.

A guard gets Brooklyn out, dragging her up to the house and to the front door. The door opens, a housekeeper standing there. She steps aside, the guard forcing Brooklyn inside. She looks around at all of the artifacts that are in cases. A guard walks up, standing in front of them.

"Take her upstairs. The Orinoco Room." The housekeeper orders.

"This way." The guard grabs onto her and drags her upstairs. He opens a door and shoves her into the room. "Inside."

"Why am I here? Who are you working for? Is it my dad?" Brooklyn asks.

"Dinner at eight. I'd clean up." The guard says.

"Just tell us what they want!" Brooklyn yells as the guard shuts the door. She hears the lock click and tries to open it, but fails. She bangs her hand against the door, breathing heavily.

Brooklyn looks around, going over to the window and looking out, seeing guards on the porch. She turns around and sees the wardrobe. There's a few identical red dresses and she yanks the note off the first one.

Pick your size

+++

"Really helps there's no names on the streets." JJ remarks.

"Just let me handle it." Cleo tells him, walking up to the building and talking to the people on the balcony. "101 Cattle Wash?" One of the guys points to a house down the way. "Blue house?" The man nods. "Thanks, man, appreciate you."