021. the phantom

They spent the night at The Wreck and it's the next morning and there are still police sirens going off. JJ is leaning against the wall and looking out at the water while he plays with his lighter. Erin is sitting at one of the tables, her head in her hand. The others are still asleep and Pope is the first to wake up.

Pope stretches before getting up and walking over to JJ.

"He's pinched for sure, man." JJ says.

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him." Pope says.

"Let's hope." JJ says.

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too." Kie states.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B." Pope says

"So, find him before they do?" JJ asks. "Pope?" He calls to his retreating friend.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat." Pope states.

"Hey, you be careful. Okay?" Kie says. Pope stares at her for a few seconds before turning to JJ.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late." Pope orders. He walks out.

"What was that?" Zack asks as Kie follows Pope outside.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kie asks, rushing to Pope who goes to JJ's motorcycle.

"No problem, officer. I'm just doing my job." Pope says, getting on the bike and starting it. The other four walk on to the porch, watching Kie stand next to the bike.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings." Kie says and Pope revs the engine. Each time she tries to talk, he revs the engine more. It goes on for a few seconds before he speeds off.

Kie starts to walk back and the group look up when they hear a helicopter whirring. They watch as a helicopter flies over them.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asks.

"I don't know, but it can't be good." Zack comments.

+++

The five are getting food and supplies that they can put on the boat.

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asks.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation." Kie says. "Is that gonna be enough food for them?"

"I mean, for a couple of weeks, and that's all they need, so..." JJ says, glancing at Brooklyn.

"Look, I think I actually hurt his feelings." Kie says.

"Look, don't beat yourself up too much. He's completely changed his feels. The past 24 hours have been Jekyll and Hyde." JJ says as they walk outside.

"I hate to admit it, but I miss the old Pope. At least I knew what to expect from him." Kie says.

"That sounds like a backhanded comment." Erin notes.

"Where you been?" Kie's mother asks her.

"Uh-- I'm fine. I slept here." Kie says as JJ packs the trunk.

"Well, we were up half the night, scared to death, lookin' for you." Anna states. "Were you even gonna tell us?"

"Well, I'm telling you right now." Kie says as JJ shuts the trunk.

"All right, what the hell are you guys up to?" Anna asks.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Anna, we just gotta go." JJ says.

"I'm sorry." Kie mutters.

"No. I'm sorry. Absolutely not!" Anna orders as Kie walks to the driver's door. The others get in the car. "Have you heard what's going on?"