028. charleston

"Yeah, they're a bunch of fancy people. They've had like three governors in the family." Kie states. "They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years."

"These kooks make our kooks look like pogues." JJ says as Pope parks outside of a house and they look up at the giant house.

"Imagine being trapped in there. I bet those rooms are huge. Maybe I wouldn't mind it." Brooklyn comments. JJ looks down at her. "Bad joke? Too soon?"

"Both." JJ says. She gives him a thumbs up.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" Zack asks.

"Pretty sure." Pope answers.

"All right." JJ accepts. They get out of the truck, walking up to the gate. "Fat City, for sure."

"27 King Street." Pope says, putting the letter up.

"Talk about home security." JJ says, observing the spikes that go along the top of the tall fence. "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"No." Kie answers.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope points out. "These spikes were to keep people in."

They go in and walk up to the front door, Pope clanging the door knocker a few times.

"You think that was too much?" Pope asks.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ says. "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kie says.

"It's a gigantic house. I'm sure it takes them a few minutes to get to the door." Erin says. "Especially if they're, like, old."

"Maybe they should get a doorman." Zack comments.

Pope knocks a few more times, the door opening when he's in the middle of a knock. He lets the knocker go as the door opens more to reveal a man, probably in his 40s or so.

The man looks between the friends, his eyes landing on Pope last.

"You must be Pope." He points to the Heyward.

"Um..." Pope starts. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." The man states. Brooklyn nervously scratches behind her ear, leaning closer to JJ. She links her arm around his, holding onto his wrist.

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here." Pope says.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ says. "Sorry about that."

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up." The man says.

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation." Kie says. "We got here as fast as we could."

"She also expected you to come alone." The man states, looking at Pope.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. So I--"

"Yeah, the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside." The man cuts him off, smiling.

"Well, we're kind of a package deal, man." JJ comments.

"JJ. It's okay. I got this." Pope assures. "I'll be good."

"Yeah. We'll be right here." Kie says, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Keep the car running." Pope says, holding her hand.

"Yep." Kie nods lightly. They pull their hands apart when Pope goes inside, the man shutting the door behind them.