037. bonfire

Brooklyn is getting some takeout food, waiting for the waitress to get her order.

"Brooklyn?" She turns at the voice.

"Oh. Hey, Cam." She politely smiles at the boy.

"Hey." He chuckles. "Wow, long time, no see."

"Yeah. Yeah, it-- it's been hectic." She says.

"Hey, uh... I'm really sorry to hear about your dad and uncle. You know, with everything." Cam says.

"Um, yeah. Yeah, thanks." Brooklyn says.

"Haven't you and Sare been hanging out with, uh, with that Routledge dude and his friends?"

"Yeah. Yeah, well, uh... yeah, we were."

"Were as in, like... the past tense?"

"Yeah, um... just some small quarrels going on here and there. It's nothing."

"Cameron." The waitress walks up to Brooklyn.

"Thanks." Brooklyn politely smiles, taking the bag from the girl who then walks off.

"So, uh... you doing anything tonight?" Cam asks.

"Um... probably just staying cooped up in the house. Not many plans." Brooklyn says.

"Well, you know, there's the bonfire tonight. You wanna go to that? You know, with me?" Cam asks.

"Um..." Brooklyn trails off.

"Oh, come on, Brookie. It'll be like old times. Besides, it seems like you could use a night off." Cam persuades.

Brooklyn is unsure. The last thing she feels like is going somewhere that's crowded by other teenagers, especially when she knows that the pogues will probably be there -- including JJ. But she also doesn't want to spend another night in her house, too many unpleasant memories and reminders of her parents there.

"Yeah. Yeah, sure." Brooklyn nods.

"Sweet. I'll, uh, I'll pick you up around, like... 8?" He asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, that works. See you then." She smiles.

"Okay. See you. Enjoy your dinner." He says, walking off.

"Yeah." She nods. She lets out a heavy sigh. "Oh, God." She mumbles, starting to mentally prepare herself for a party.

+++

The group are on the porch at the chateau as Pope reads them Denmark's diary. Pope is standing up, John B and Kie are on chairs, Erin is leaning against the railing, and the twins are on the couch.

"Guys, this is Denmark's diary. "August 15th, set sail from Port-au-Prince on calm seas. Came upon the Spanish ship San Jose on fire. The entire deck was aflame. And we could hear the screams of men trapped below. The Spanish captain cared about only one thing, his valuable cargo, the Cross of Santo Domingo and countless bars of gold.""

""Once the cargo was on board, we went to help the crew, but Captain Limbrey ordered us to pull bayonets and not to let any of the Spanish crew on board. He robbed them and left them to die.""

"So it didn't go down off Bermuda." JJ says as Pope sits next to John B.

"And it was a Limbrey... stealing shit again." Kie says.

"This diary proves that both the gold and the Cross of Santo Domingo were on the Royal Merchant." Pope says.

"Why didn't we find it in the well then?" JJ asks. "I mean, if Denmark was able to get this, like, bedazzled cross off of the Merchant to shore, why didn't he just hide it with the gold?"