038. next morning

Brooklyn is lying on John B's bed, a blanket draped over her. JJ sits on a chair next to the bed, not looking away from her as if she'll disappear into thin air if he does.

JJ looks at her chest, watching it rise and fall with each breath.

JJ doesn't look when somebody walks in.

"Hey." Zack calls, but JJ doesn't respond. He glances at Erin who shrugs. "J, come on, man. You gotta eat something."

"I'm fine." JJ mumbles.

"Jayje, she's not gonna wake up any sooner if you're staring at her." Zack says.

"Yeah, plus, if she wakes up to you staring at her, you're just gonna scare her. You look kinda creepy." Erin comments.

"Seriously, dude. Take a break. You can check on her in a bit." Zack says. "Come on." He drags JJ to his feet.

"But-- but what if she wakes up?" JJ asks as Zack drags him out of the room, JJ trying to get one last glimpse of the blonde girl.

"Then she'll wonder how the hell she got to the chateau and then come outside to question us." Erin says. "Food awaits."

~ ~ ~

"I've had more black eyes in the last month than I've ever had." Pope states as the pogues sit around the fire.

"That was building up for years. Rumble in the jungle." JJ says. He grabs one of the foods and puts it on a plate.

"Hey, did you really stick up for Sarah?" John B asks Kie.

"Of course I did. She's not a real kook." Kie says.

"Right. Yeah, tell that to Topper." John B says. JJ flinches, shaking his hand out after he burn it on his food. Erin quietly laughs, JJ giving her an annoyed look in return.

"I just want one bite." John B says, grabbing Kie's hand.

"What are you doing?" She asks watching him take a bite of her food. "No, stop!" The food falls out of her hand and falls on the ground.

"You're not having any of mine." JJ states.

"Do not come near me." Zack warns.

"I thought you were gonna share." John B says.

"I spent the last of my money on that." Kie says.

"Sixteen years in most federal prisons." John B says. He picks the food up off the ground and starts eating it.

"I'm stealing your marshmallow." Kie states.

"I believe that's a... not even a fair trade." Pope says.

"It's not at all. Not even close." Kie says, laughing a bit.

"Hey, hey." John B whispers as he shushes them. "Somebody's here."

"You don't think that Topper would..." Kie trails off.

"Wouldn't put it past him." JJ says.

John B shuffles forward a bit, the others getting out of their seats.

"Do you have your gun?" Kie asks JJ.

"Oh, now she wants the gun!" JJ quietly exclaims.

"Oh, now you don't have the gun?" Kie inquires.

"No." JJ whispers.

"Isn't that your "secret" weapon?" Kie asks. Pope shushes them both.

"Goddamn, now she wants the gun." JJ grumbles, holding a skinny metal pole as protection.