002. kook life

Brooklyn walks in from helping set everything up for Hurricane Agatha. Before marrying Patrick, Aubrey was a pogue. So, instead of being raised completely spoiled and having everything done for them, the three Cameron siblings were raised to be taught to do things themselves. Laundry, cooking, other housework, etc.

Brooklyn walks into the kitchen where her mom is.

"Hey, baby. Everything good outside?" Aubrey asks.

"Yep." Brooklyn nods. "All ready and set to be wrecked."

"This is bullshit. A hurricane my first week back from college?" Riley asks, walking in. "Absolutely stupid."

"Well, I apologize that you're not gonna get to go to some crazy kook party where everybody's high and/or drunk." Aubrey falsely sympathizes.

"You need to work on your sympathy." Riley comments. Aubrey smiles and squeezes her eldest daughter's face for a moment before going back to cooking.

"Mom!" Twelve year old Wyatt jogs down the stairs. "If the power goes out, I won't be able to play video games."

"Oh, whatever will you do." Aubrey rolls her eyes. "I'm sure you'll survive, sweetheart. No video games isn't the end of the world."

"Not the end of the world?" Wyatt asks. "Mom, are you serious?"

"Very. We can play... play board games, card games, and stuff. Some family time." Aubrey says.

"Ew." Wyatt grimaces.

"Well, I love you, too." Aubrey remarks.

"Don't worry. First chance I get, I'm going to Sarah. Given she's not with Topper, at least." Brooklyn comments, rolling her eyes at the idea of being around the Thornton boy.

"Well, I mean, being around Rafe is bad enough." Riley comments, Brooklyn shrugging in agreement.

"Hey." Patrick walks in, fixing a button in his sleeve. "Okay, so the house is all prepped for the hurricane. I gotta go over to Ward's and talk with him about some stuff. I'll be back in an hour or two."

Patrick and Aubrey peck on the lips and Patrick bids them all goodbye as he leaves.

"Can't they just talk over the phone? It's the 21st century." Brooklyn says.

"Well, maybe your uncle needs help with something." Aubrey says, shrugging. "Come on. Dinner's ready."

+++

The day after the hurricane, Brooklyn gets up and goes over to Sarah's. She walks into the house.

"Hey, Wheeze." Brooklyn greets.

"Sarah's out back." Wheezie informs, knowing she's the only person Brooklyn would really want to see.

"Thanks." Brooklyn ruffles her younger cousin's hair before walking out to the backyard.

"Hey, S!" Brooklyn calls while making her way to her cousin.

"Ah!" Sarah lets out a yell as she jumps and tries to hit a bird with a tennis racket. "Hey, B."

"What the hell are you doing?" Brooklyn asks.

"It's mouse genocide. The birds are going nuts." Sarah says.

"Okay, I'm all for animals and all that, but are mice worth all the effort? I mean, they're... gross and carry diseases and have beady eyes." Brooklyn says, shivering in disgust.

"Doesn't mean they deserve to die." Sarah comments.

"Yeah, okay." Brooklyn mutters.

"Can you help me, please?" Sarah asks, holding a second tennis racket out to her cousin.

"Are you serious?" Brooklyn asks. "You... you want me to hit birds? Isn't that kind of counterproductive to your goal here?"

"Not hit, just... scare off." Sarah says. "Come on, birds freak you out too. Let some of that aggression out."

"Well, obviously they freak me out. They can fly." Brooklyn says, taking the tennis racket.

"Thank you." Sarah says.

"Yeah, well, it's either this or listen to Wyatt bitch about not being able to play video games, so." Brooklyn says.

+++

"Sarah!" They hear Ward call out.

"I'm busy!" Sarah shouts, swatting a bird with the tennis racket.

"What are you two doing?" Ward questions.

"The burrows filled with water from the surge. The birds are having a field day." Sarah says while chasing off a couple of birds.

"The birds have to eat too, Sarah." Ward comments.

"No, it's mouse genocide out here." Sarah says. "No!" She exclaims when a bird lands in a bush.

"Oh, well, there goes that one." Brooklyn says.

"It's the circle of life is what it is, sweetheart. Now, come on." Ward says.

"I can't be a part of it." Sarah says.

"Well, I'm not killing you, get somebody else to do it." Brooklyn says.

"First they came for the mice, daddy." Sarah says.

"Yeah, well, I have an actual human being..." Ward points to the woman next to him. "...you might help."

"Oh, my God." Sarah walks over.

"Hi." The woman quietly greets.

"I'm Sarah." She shakes the woman's hand.

"Brooklyn." She shakes her hand.

"This is Lana Grubbs, she's Scooter's wife." Ward informs. "Now you were storm prepping with him, right?" He asks his daughter.

"Yeah. He helped me latch the cabin on the Druthers." Sarah says.

"Last night?" Ward asks.

"Yeah." Sarah nods.

"And did he go out after that?" Ward asks.

"From here?"

"Yeah."

"No. Are you crazy? There was a hurricane."

"Well, did he say where he was going? Get a phone call or mention anything?" Lana asks.

"He didn't say anything to me." Sarah says. "I'm so sorry. Is he okay?"

"He's absolutely okay." Ward says.

"I hope so." Lana says.

"He's just hunkered down somewhere. All right? We're gonna find him." Ward assures.

"I'm so sorry." Sarah says.

"Thank you." Lana says as Ward leads her away.

"Man, that sucks." Brooklyn mumbles. "And here we have younger siblings just bitching about lack of internet."

"Yeah. Yeah, it's stupid." Sarah says, looking up as more birds fly around.

"Dude, really. How important are the mice?" Brooklyn asks.

"They have lives too." Sarah says, running off when she sees a bird start to get close to the ground.

"Yeah. Right." Brooklyn mumbles. "Okay. Come on, you flying rats." She twirls the tennis racket in her hand and looking up at the birds.