034. one big happy family

They're at Heyward's shop and Sarah is tending to the wound on Mr. Heyward's forehead.

"Let me know if I'm hurting you, okay?" Sarah says.

"No, you're doing just fine." Heyward assures. "Thank you, darlin'." He tells her when she finishes.

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asks.

"Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that... that... that key from that-- that drawing you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing. Now did you track it down?"

Pope takes the key out of his pocket, handing it to his dad.

"I found it in Meemaw's old apartment right above the pharmacy just like you said." Pope says, sitting next to his dad.

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating." Heyward says. "What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?"

"I don't know. First, I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet a rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family." Pope says.

"None of it makes any sense." Kie says.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it." Heyward says. "Figure it out."

"No. I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth--"

"No, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?"

"No, sir."

"Well, all right. Now, I-I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now... now?" Heyward motions to his injury. "I'm interested." He states. "Well, did they say why they wanted it?"

"Something about an old cross." Pope says. "I think it might be some kind of lost treasure."

"You know who you should talk to? Your great-grandmother, meemaw."

+++

"Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip." Pope says as the group are in the Twinkie with John B driving. JJ is in the passenger seat, Pope is sitting behind John B, Zack and Erin are on the floor behind JJ, and Kie, Brooklyn, and Sarah are all sharing the bench in the back. "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo."

"Wait. Can I see that?" JJ asks, reaching for the key and Pope gives it to him.

"Are we supposed to know what that is?" Sarah asks.

"I'm guessing it's some sort of historical artifact of great importance." Pope says.

"Well, according to the interwebs, it was a gift from New Spain to the Spanish king." Kie informs, looking at her phone.

"New Spain? Is there an Old Spain?" JJ asks.

"Shit, talk about over gifting. Look at that thing." Kie shows them a drawing of a cross that's next to a drawing of a man, the cross bigger the person. "Looks like there's a person standing next to it."

"So it's a giant ass cross." JJ says.

"It was widely considered at the time to be the most extravagant tribute ever from the provinces. It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829." Kie informs.

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ asks.

"Oh, no. Not the triangle." John B says.

"It always leads back to the triangle, dude." JJ says. "Like every single time something's weird, it's Bermuda."