046. poguelandia

Brooklyn and JJ are making spears while talking about whatever comes to mind.

"Rescue?" JJ laughs. "From what? From... from paradise? I'm not going back. Ever. I mean, look around. We got everything we need right here."

"Yeah... except showers." Brooklyn comments.

"Go swim, that's shower enough." JJ says making her chuckle. "Come on, I don't stink that bad."

"Mmm... not so sure about that." Brooklyn tsks.

"All right." JJ rolls his eyes. "You ready to go provide for the family?"

"Yep." Brooklyn gets up, following JJ to the water.

"Let's go kill something." JJ says.

"That wording's a little harsh." Brooklyn comments.

"Well, that's the circle of life, princess." JJ remarks. "I mean, if you wanna keep eating coconuts."

"They're not that bad. Something else would be nice, though." Brooklyn says.

"Exactly." JJ says.

"I do miss chicken nuggets, I'll admit." Brooklyn comments making JJ laugh.

"You ready?" JJ asks.

"Yeah." Brooklyn nods.

"All right. Today's the day." JJ declares. "All right, remember, watch your shadow. They see that, they're gone."

"Mm-hmm." Brooklyn nods.

"All right, here we go. Just like we practiced, all right?" JJ asks and Brooklyn nods. "All right." He nods. "Hey. Hey, Brookie, it's a skate. It's a skate right there. You see him?" He points out. "He sees me! He's coming over by you."

"So it's all me." Brooklyn says, starting to panic a little.

"He's coming over towards you. Brookie, this is it. This is the time." JJ says.

"Mm... I don't think I can. I can't." Brooklyn winces.

"No, Brooke! Brooke, yes, you can! Brooke!"

"No."

JJ stabs at the stake.

"Damn it, I missed it. Where-- where is it? I missed it." He looks over when Brooklyn stabs at the water and lets out a grunt. She presses the spear further down and lifts up the spear that stabbed the skate.

"Holy, shit." She breathes out.

"Holy, shit. You did it." JJ laughs, hugging her. "You did it. We're having skate tonight. Full pogue!" He cheers as Brooklyn lets out a small laugh. "That's food in our bellies right there."

~ ~ ~

"So you don't wanna get saved?" Erin questions.

"No. No, there-- there's really nothing to be saved from." Zack says.

"Really?" Erin asks.

"Look, I... hey, honey, I know that-- that you at least somewhat want to. Okay? You got your mom and your little brother. But you guys are the only family I have... and you're all here. I don't have my parents, I probably don't have a house anymore. I got everything I need right here."

"Yeah." Erin sadly smiles. "Well, maybe my mom would let you and JJ move in with us." Zack laughs.

"Yeah, maybe. There would never be another shut door again." Zack remarks.

"Better than being homeless." Erin comments.

"Touché." Zack nods.

+++