007. cemetery

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B asks as he drives the Twinkie to their destination. "A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?"

"Yeah. It's possible." Kie says.

"It could also be possible that you're connecting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels." Pope says. Kie gives him a look.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it." JJ says.

"I'm not-- I'm not concocting, okay? My dad's driving to give me a message." John B declares.

"If it helps you believe, John B." Kie says.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay?" John B says.

"You might actually need one." Erin comments.

"Okay, logically speaking, we could probably all use one. But I'm gonna pass, anyway." Zack says.

"Look, I'm not trippin' out." John B says, growing defensive.

"It's okay to trip, bro, but--"

"Look, my-my dad is missing, okay? Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

"It's been almost a year." Kie reasons.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." JJ says.

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope says.

"Absolutely." JJ continues. "Or Atlantis."

"JJ." Kie says. "Look, what do you think the message is?" She asks John B.

"Redfield. Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favorite place." John B says.

They get to the lighthouse and John B parks in front of the white picket fence that blocks it off. They clamber out, making sure nobody's there.

"Right. Here's what's gonna happen, you two are gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B orders the Maybanks.

"Wait... why me?" JJ asks.

"Cause you're not coming." Pope states.

"Why?" JJ asks.

"Look, JJ, there are independent and there are dependent variables. And you're an independent variable. We don't know what you'll do. And Zack follows your lead so you don't go down alone." Pope says.

"In conclusion, you're both impulsive and make stupid decisions." Erin says, smiling.

"Shut up. Shut up." JJ talks over him.

"We don't know what you're gonna do."

"Just shut up!"

"Just listen to me for a second. Listen." John B gets their attention. "Pope, you and Erin stand look out with them. Okay?"

"Wh-- what? Why me?" Erin asks. "It could so easily be three and three."

"Just stay, Erin." Kie says.

"If we get split up, we meet back at JJ and Zack's house." John B states.

"Great." Kie says, her and John B starting towards the lighthouse.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay." Pope says. "I'm trying to keep felonies down to a minimum."

"All right, would you just shut up already?" JJ asks, kicking a hacky sack between his feet.