020. wanted

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asks as Kie pulls up to the station. Zack is in the passenger seat and John B, Erin, and Pope are in the backseat. Brooklyn and JJ are in the very back, the girl lying with her back to his chest and his legs are on either side of her while he keeps his arms wrapped around her.

"Somebody's got to tell them what happened." John B says as Kie parks the car. Pope starts to violently cough after taking a hit of a joint.

"Easy there, chief." JJ says.

"Take it slow, bro." Zack says.

"Damn." JJ says. "All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me and Zack, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar." Kie argues.

"I agree with JJ. Fuck the police." Pope states.

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kie asks.

"When's the last time the police ever helped us?" Pope asks.

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right?" John B says. "Tried to, at least. They need to know."

Kie nods a little and John B gets out of the car, going into the station.

JJ sighs, turning his attention to Brooklyn. He looks at her hands which are still covered in her mother's blood.

"We should wash those off, baby." JJ quietly says, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. Brooklyn simply shakes her head. pulling the sleeves of the sweater JJ gave her down so her hands are hidden. JJ frowns, not knowing what he could possibly do to help. He kisses her on the head, tightening his grip around her.

"Kie! Start the car!" John B screams, running out of the station. "Star the car, Kie!" Erin opens the door for him and he quickly gets in, slamming the door shut.

"What? John B?" Kie asks. "What did you do?"

"The cops!" John B yells.

"What the fuck happened?" Zack questions.

Kie starts driving as two cops chase after them, one holding onto John B's door.

"Open it." Pope says. John B opens the door, knocking the cop off of it and he shuts it again.

+++

They're parked to hide out for the night and JJ got Brooklyn out of the car. Brooklyn is sitting on the ground and JJ walks over, sitting across from her and he's holding a water bottle.

"Okay. We're gonna wash this off, all right?" JJ says, lightly brushing his hand over her hers. Brooklyn doesn't reply, ignoring his sad eyes as he unscrews the cap of the bottle.

JJ gently holds one of her hands in his and pours the water of it. He grabs a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes her hand, getting most of the blood off. He repeats this with her other hand before getting the blood off his arm.

JJ sets the bottle to the side and reaches up, cradling her cheek in his hand, finally getting her to look at him.

"We should, uh... you should try to get some sleep." He says quietly.

"Not tired." She mumbles.

"You're in shock, babe. You-- you need some sleep. It's been an excruciating long day." JJ says.

"If I go to sleep, I just... I'm gonna see her. And I'm gonna see Ra--" She stops herself, looking down as her eyes sting. JJ looks at her sympathetically. "I'm gonna see him." She mumbles, frowning.