012. midsummers

"Do we really have to go to this thing?" Brooklyn asks as her mom fixes up her hair. "I mean, it's kind just a bunch of bullshit."

"Hey, I hate it just as much as you do, but you know we need to go." Aubrey says. "Just think... we'll get to eat food, we'll get to dance. Maybe I'll sneak you some alcohol."

"Besides, you look beautiful. Not that you don't always." Aubrey smiles. Brooklyn offers her mom a smile in the mirror as Aubrey finishes up with her hair. "And to complete the ensemble." She puts a flower crown on Brooklyn's head.

"Simple and not too fancy. Just the way you like." Aubrey smiles. "I'll meet you downstairs. I have to make sure your sister finally chose a pair of shoes and that your brother didn't get food all over his outfit." She says making Brooklyn softly laugh.

"Thank you for taking after me and my simplistic ways. Have I ever said you're my favorite child?" Aubrey asks.

"You only don't say it when I do piss you off." Brooklyn smiles.

"Well, you're my favorite." Aubrey says. She kisses her daughter on the cheek before leaving.

+++

Erin and Pope are at the grill, the girl and her mom helping out Pope and his dad with the food.

"Excuse me. Do we have to shuck these ourselves?" They hear somebody in a British accent ask behind them. They share an annoyed look as they turn around, only to find Kie. "Cause it might mess up my costume." The three laugh.

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" Pope asks as they do the handshake. "That accent was bad."

"Yeah, it was. I was gonna let it go." Kie says. "You ever see this many kooks in one place?"

"Yeah. Last year." Pope says.

"We're in the lion's den." Kie says.

"Exactly." Pope says. "Hey, have you heard from JJ or Zack?" He asks Kie, already knowing Erin hasn't.

"No." Kie answers. "They'll be all right. They both got the survival instincts of a cockroach." She says, laughing a bit, trying to diffuse her worry.

"It's all my fault." Pope says.

"You didn't do this, Pope." Kie says. "Topper almost killed you. Remember?"

~ ~ ~

Brooklyn and her siblings and parents meet up with Ward, Rose, and their three children inside the building where Midsummers is taking place. Brooklyn's eyes widen at the head piece Rose is wearing. She looks at Wyatt who is trying to not laugh.

"Oh, God." Riley whispers in horror.

Brooklyn makes her way over to Sarah.

"Um... Sare?" She quietly whispers.

"Yeah?" Sarah mumbles.

"What the fuck is on her head?" Brooklyn whispers and Sarah laughs.

"The possible cause of somebody's death or fatal injury. So watch out." Sarah says.

The ten go outside, other kooks cheering.

"Here come the Lord Capitals and the exploiters." Kie comments.

"She's definitely gonna poke somebody's eye out with that." Pope says.

Brooklyn immediately breaks away from her family, Wyatt following her as the two go to the table that has food.

+++

The sun has mostly set, but it's still not completely dark out. The three boys haul the HMS Pogue up onto the sand.