60. Invitation Only

Family supper. Laenor was in capital for once and everyone piled around the table. Harwin was not included. Tommen and davina and their children were. Invitation only it seemed for such a... casual family supper. 

Rhaenyra liked that tommen sat by jace. Loved how much Jace loved Tommen. 

"Iron-Seared Fennel Seed and Black Peppercorn-Crusted Salmon, Grilled Shrimp, Creamy Italian Rice with Asparagus and Saffron, Lemon-Thyme Butter Sauce..." The food was placed before Laena and she smiled but looked at the fish, her father would have a few key words to say about it. He lived off the catches of the sea, so did Laena when she was younger and Corlys made the best seafood. Taught Laenor and Laena but Laena liked eating it more than cooking it, she still didn't like the fact that the flay before her had been a real fish, that fish was decapitated. 

Aegon was stumbling to his seat and pouring himself a glass of wine to which Alicent quickly confiscated. 

"Are you drunk?" Alicent hissed. 

"Never..." Aegon slurred back. Alicent looked to Taelon. 

"Did you give them ale?" Alicent whispered.

"Nonsense... wine." Taelon teased.

"Taelon!"

"They are sober. Unless TOmmen gave them something." Taelon corrected. Alicent shook her head. 'Why are you blaming me, Alicent?"

"Because I know your father doesnt care enough to give them wine." Alicent remarked. "AEGON!" She snatched the bottle from him. 

"TOmmen you give the kids ale?" Taelon pondered. 

"Nonsense!" Tommen declared as he poured Gavin a glass. "This is wine, the good stuff." Gavin smirked back at him. Taelon gave Alicent an I told you so look before turning back to his food. 

"Wild Caught North Atlantic Cod, Lump Crab Meat Stuffing, Sautéed Vegetables, Lemon-Thyme Butter Sauce..." 

"Lump crab?" Taelon questioned with a laugh. "Good thing your father isnt here." Taelon mused. 

"Corlys is a food snob?" Rhaenyra pondered. 

"My father is not a snob." Laena corrected sharply. "He considers himself a foodie. He met a chef from across the narrow sea and he was branching out. But he has always been skilled with meat of the sea." 

"Maybe Lord Corlys would honor us with a meal." ALicent pondered. 

"Like he would waste his time on you." Rhaenyra murmured. 

"Seared Sea Scallops, Creamy Italian Risotto with Asparagus, Corn, Cranberries and Pancetta, Basil-Leek Reduction, Red Pepper Aioli..."

"Leek reduction!" Taelon declared nudging Aemna. "Mena, doesnt that sound delicious?" 

"Um... I'm going to hold my breath while I eat it." Aemna decided as she pinched her nose closed and took a bite. "Its good." She decided letting her hand fall as she took another bite. 

"Where is the apple pie?" Tatum questioned jumping up on his chair. 

"Supper first." Davina countered nursing a glass of wine. 

"Father... WHere is the pie?" Tatum repeated slower.

"Father, oh no you are in trouble." Laena mused. 

"Pass the salt." Alicent requested. "Please."

"You are salty enough." Rhaenyra countered. Davina and Laena shared a look as the two bickered back and forth, little jabs and discreet insults that went unnoticed by the men but of course it did. 

"Aemond, did you want to go for a ride with me tomorrow?" Aemna questioned leaning into him. Rhaena stared back at Aemna, she sat opposite Aemond. 

"Sure, I would like that." Aemond agreed. Rhaena needed to think, think of something better. 

"I was going for a ride as well. On Ragnarok." Rhaena informed him. "Aemna you can't fly Starlight with two riders yet, she isnt big enough." Aemna's smile fell. 

"I didnt think about that." Aemna admitted. 

"You can fly on Rok with me though!" Rhaena decided. 

"Rhaena are you offering Aemond rides on MY dragon?" Taelon questioned. 

"It's okay right?" Rhaena questioned. 

"No!" Aemna shouted. "Its not alright... Because... give me a minute." 

"Aegon got your drinking habits." Rhaenyra remarked. 

"I hope your sons dont get your bedroom habits." Alicent countered as she took a sip of her wine. Rhaenyra scowled back at her.  "Something you wish to say?" Alicent pushed. Viserys smiled ignorantly. 

Taelon ran a hand over Laena's thigh as they ate. She smiled back at him. Tommen was on the hunt for pie for Tatum and Rhaenyras face was sure to be stuck in a scowl forever at this rate. 

"That was a great night." Taelon mused. 

"It went better than I expected." Laena countered. "The girls love Aemond." 

"Everyone loves Aemond, its hard not to, the boy is sweet like Alicent." Taelon agreed. 

"Alicent... I dont know that she was so sweet tonight." Laena murmured. 

'What do you mean?" 

"You didnt pick up on all their silent arguments? The aggressive eye rolls? Their tone of voice?" Laena questioned. 

"Was I supposed to?" Taelon countered. 

"Better you didnt." Laena offered. She changed out of her dress and got into bed blowing out the candle on her side. Taelon stared back at her silently as he got changed. 

"You okay?" Laena shrugged. 

"Its strange to think that Alicent and Rhaenyra used to be best friends and now they can't endure a supper together... It's... It's sad." Laena remarked. 

"You worried that I'm going to not- oh you are scared that I am going to annoy you to death and you won't be able to stand being in the same bed as me!" Taelon mused. "Is that it? SHould I leave?"

"Never!" Laena corrected immediately. "Come here." She reached out for him. 

Taelon moved their bodies so that they were laying down. Her head rested on his chest. His arms wrapped around her body as their feet tangle together at the bottom of the bed. They drifted off to sleep, cuddled up in the soft light of the candles.