20. Princess Problems

''Viserys has taken to bed while his ship is readied.'' Rhaenys said as she approached her husband.

"Both children? After all this time?" Corlys was still thinking it over. 

'My cousin chose to sail into this tempest, husband. It was undignified of the King to drag himself here and beg for Laenor's hand.'' Rhaenys reminded him happily. "But I will gladly throw Laena towards Taelon, they will be so perfect together." 

''Where is Laenor?'

''He and Rhaenyra are walking the coast. Laena and Taelon are with Ragnarok.'' Rhaenys told him. 

''Good. Do they seem... familiar? They grew up together.'' Corlys questioned

''Familiarity is not at issue for Laenor and Rhaenyra.'' Rhaenys reminded him.

''Oh, I'm sure Laenor was already taken with her. She's grown quite comely these last few years.'' Corlys offered. "And our Laena is not a little girl any more."

''You know his true nature.'' Rhaenys hissed. 

''He's still young. He will outgrow it. There is no pleasure in the world like... bedding a woman.'' Corlys told her happily. "Something Laena's betrothed knows too well." Rhaenys rolled her eyes. 

''We are placing our son in danger.'' Rhaenys reminded him. "We should reject Rhaenyra and just take Taelon for Laena."

"I doubt the king would accept one without the other, he seemed adamant." Corlys reminded her. 

''To what end, Corlys? Wealth? Power? Pride? Justice.''

''By all rights, you should be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. You were robbed of the crown by-' Corlys began.

'I never wore the crown because the realm would not have it so.'' Rhaenys reminded him bitterly. "Taelon will hold it and Laena as well, that will be enough."

''And I would remedy that... small-minded error by any means necessary-'

''I myself have put the business behind me, Corlys.'' Rhaenys remarked. "Please, just think about the children. About Laena..."

"She seems happy." Corlys agreed. 

"Taelon clearly likes her. Besides if you are right, which unfortunately I think you are about them being a packaged deal, we get two Targaryen royalty. Not just one princess but taelon the heir to the throne for our laena. You wanted this when Laena was younger. Begged for it." Rhaenys reminded him.

"I don't beg." Corlys corrected

"I swear you were one move away from sucking Viserys cock when Laena was a child." Rhaenys mused and corlys face scrunched with distaste. "I'm just saying laena will be happier. Is that not what good parents want for their children to be happier?"

"Taelon came against his father wishes to help at the step stones. He saved is with Ragnarok. Without taelon and his dragon we would have lost and you know it." Rhaenys added.

"Yet it was daemon claiming that false crown." Corlys hissed.

"False." Rhaenys agreed. "Taelon will have a real crown, the crown." Rhaenys reminded him. "Daemon..." Rhaenys scoffed "He is nothing, but it does not matter."

"We get Laena on the throne one day..." Corlys agreed. 

 "If we play our cards right all worked out in the end. Laena will be queen one day with a handsome young man she actually loves." Rhaenys whispered.  

"So we agree and get these unions under way quickly." Corlys agreed. 

+

''I've always feared the day you'd have to marry a woman. And now it comes. Your betrothed gives you leave of her own free will to continue partaking of. Was I the duck or the goose?'' Joffrey questioned smugly as he kissed at Laenors chest.

''I've come to meet my fate and you make a jape of it?'' Laenor countered pushing him away.

''Think of the tournament, the feast, the battles at sea. Will you wear a crown?'' Joffrey questioned and  Laenor chuckled

''You're a fool.'' Laenor corrected. 

''You will need a sworn protector.'' Joffrey reminded him flipping him onto his back.

''Mm-hm.'' Laenor agreed happily.

''Well, this is better than we could've hoped for. She has a paramour of her own.'' Joffrey declared. ''I wonder who it is.'' 

+

"Come on, last taste of freedom before the wedding." Taelon remarked holding out an oh to tempting hand to Nyra.

Nyra didn't want to marry Laenor, she wanted Taelon. She grabbed his hand as he pulled her up to Ragnarok. 

"Meet you at home pops!" Taelon called out and Viserys sighed waving a dismissive hand at them. 

Nyra didn't want moments like this to end. She leaned back into Taelon as her arms flew out over her head. She felt like they were kids again. Ragnarok grew fast, Taelon took Nyra riding with him all the time.

It was a familiar feeling yet everything was different. Everything was about to change.

The maze of their lives, the labyrinth of paths, mistakes and choices, leading them here and there only to come back together right before her life was tied to another. 

Yet flying with Taelon was always enchanting. 

Nyra glanced back at Taelon and his smile was like an epiphany of what could never be. 

What happened when Taelon was married? Had children of his own? What happened when she had her own children? What happened when Taelon was king and Laena was his queen? What happened then? What happened to them? What happened when he fell in love with Laena and forgot about her entirely?

Princess problems... damn these champagne problems.