57. Pour a Drink

Everything was not coming up RHaena. 

Rhaena was less excited to wake up. She did however have something her twin didnt. A cat massaging her stomach first thing in the morning, ready for his food. 

RHaena smiled reaching out for Pounce and he bounded up to her face, smothering her with his loud purrs. 

Laena peered in on Rhaena as she was getting ready. Rhaena smiled back at her in the mirror. 

"Hi, honey, I thought you would be in the pits by now. Aemna was up and grabbing your father before the sun came up, at least thats what it felt like." Laena remarked. 

"I dont want to go to the pits." 

"I understand." Laena whispered sitting on the edge of her bed. 

"You do?" Rhaena countered. Laena's eyes went to the dragon egg on the fire. 

"Aemond is there, when the day comes for you to claim a dragon, you will need to know how to. Need the confidence to do so..." Laena reminded her. "Taelon- your father always calls me his brave girl, well you and Mena are my brave girls."

"I want to go but... I'm... what if I never get a dragon and I'm just hurting myself by watching them train?"

"Aemna lets you practice with Starlight." Laena offered. "Thats a good start." 

"But its not my dragon." 

"I felt so left out... you know at the king and queens wedding, I asked your father if we could go for a ride. He ditched his fathers own wedding for me. Because he wanted me to have what I wanted, even then. Even when we were nothing but cousins. He still cared about me, wanted to make me smile." Laena herself smiled at the memory. 

"I can't marry father." Rhaena countered. 

"You dont have to be wed for a long time." Laena reminded her. 

"You were offered up at 12." Rhaena recalled. 

"But it wasnt until I was 15, almost 16 that the union with your father presented itself." Laena corrected. "And I loved him then I love him now. Dont worry about marriage." 

"But who would want me if I dont have a dragon?" Rhaena countered. 

"I want you. I love you. Your father and sister too." 

"I need to feed ser pounce again." Rhaena mumbled. Laena nodded taking that as a hint that she wanted to be alone. Laena moved behind her kissing the top of her head. 

"I love you my brave girl." Laena whispered before heading out. Rhaena stared back at the door through the mirror until she was gone. 

She had to go, she wanted to go to the pits, she loved being near the dragons. She would have a dragon. Her mother was right. but each step out the door made her feel like she didnt belong. Aegon teased Aemond all the time for not having a dragon, would he branch out and tease her too when teasing aemond became boring, that was Aegon's style. 

"Pits are the other way." Davina remarked when she saw Rhaena mumbling to herself. 

"Going to be late for training in the pit with my friends..." Rhaena remarked before seeing Davina.

"That way-" Davina pointed a finger behind her. 

 "I know... But... These shoes hurt so bad, can't feel my toes... they are too small I forgot to tell mother, I think I need a new pair... And I forgot my cloak back at in my chambers ...  I should just turn around now. There is no point."

"Life's too short for that," Davina corrected. "You are a princess, you will have a dragon. I know it."

"Tatum's egg hatched." Rhaena mumbled.

"I know and I am thrilled. But you will have a dragon. I know it. So do your parents." Davina assured. "Now, smile honey, pour a drink and I will drink up all your champagne problems so you can have fun."

"You are right." Rhaena decided.

"I usually am. Remind Tommen next time you see him." Davina agreed.

"I can't complain at all. There are people that don't have a roof over their head, don't have new clothes, don't have food in their stomachs. Don't have the best sister in the world... You are right. I got champagne problems, champagne problems." Rhaena laughed out. "So pour a glass and let's drink up all my champagne problems!"

"Atta girl!" Davina agreed. "Come on, pits are awaiting."