69. Already Bored

Vulnerable / Daeron Targaryen out now!

"I'm already bored," Taelon remarked. 

"We leave tomorrow morning, we will be done with this place for a few moons or more." Laena offered. 

"Am I going to be a bad king?"

"No." Laena answered without hesitation. 

"I dont like the meetings." Taelon countered. 

"No one likes meetings." Laena corrected giving him a kiss and sending him off. 

''War... is afoot again in the Stepstones, Rhaenyra. The Triarchy takes new life from its alliance with Dorne. They're waylaying ships and cargo. Qarl's been fighting there. He showed me a...'' Laenor began with a chuckle ''He showed me a sack of sapphires big as walnuts he took from the pirate he slew. Ahh... after all this time, this is just what I need, a little adventure. A good, honest battle to enliven my blood again. He says there is a Tyroshi general there, a giant, they say, who dyes his beard purple and wears women's frocks.''  Laenor laughed out but Rhaenyra was not amused. ''A few months, maybe...'' Laenor went on sobering slightly.

''Hm?" Rhaenyra countered thinking him talking jibberish.

''To be back at sea.''

''Are you mad? Do you know what's happened... while you've been guzzling all the ale in Flea Bottom?'' Rhaenyra hissed

''Gods know what besides?''

''Dark rumors are hunting us, Laenor. They nip at our heels. Questions... about our sons' parentage. Vile, disgusting insinuations.'' Rhaenyra hissed

''Insinuations, are they?'' Laenor mused leaning back in his chair

''They are our sons! Yours and mine. And their true father will not abandon them now to go carousing through the Narrow Sea, waggling his sword and winking at his sailors.'' Rhaenyra spat

''I am a knight... and a warrior. And I have played my part here, faithfully... for 10 years. I am owed some...'

''You are owed nothing!'' Rhaenyra shouted. ''For 10 years, you have indulged yourself at court, bought the finest horses, drunk the rarest of wines, fuckеd the lustiest boys.''

''This was our agreement.'' Laenor reminded her

''I have not begrudged you. But... you do not desert your post when the storm lashes.'' Rhaenyra hissed

''The wise sailor flees the storm as it gathers.''

''Very well then. I command you. As your Princess, you are commanded to remain in King's Landing and at my side.'' Rhaenyra demanded.

+

''It is Lord Blackwood's contention, therefore, that the Brackens moved the boundary stones in the dead of the night and put their horses to graze in his field.'' Lyonel declared

''Why was this issue not brought before Lord Grover? Has he grown so feeble he cannot settle a quarrel over rocks?'' Alicent countered. Taelon had to admit Alicent was good at this, she understood the realms, the game, the expectations of the crown and when he left he felt like the castle was secure with Alicent and his father at the head. He knew he should have felt threatened like Alicent might replace him but they were friends, and friends didnt hurt each other like that. 

''I've heard tale that Lord Grover's son now rules Riverrun in all but name.'' Jasper wylde remarked

''Well, he is also a Tully and this remains a Tully problem.'' Taelon offered with a shrug. 

''I would agree." Viserys agreed, Taelon nodded to him.  ''If we may move on, my lords...''

''And yet, the Brackens and the Blackwoods will use any excuse to spill each other's blood. So... this dispute bears looking into. There will be country folk who know where the lines have been drawn for generations.''