Issue #42...a Yugioh Fan Fiction

*****************************************************************

          White bandages hugged snugly to his pale chest, slow smudges of red had broken through them overnight. The pain was gradual, but it was fading as the day went on. Just one of the benefits of having a Vicinity Item, this item was different from the others, the chain was the main source of power, however the watch was an extra addition to it. The animal spirit in this item was the only one that could go without its vessel, making it the perfect tool for anyone to use if they knew how they properly worked. This was one spirit that could be manipulated into giving you their power, and it was only possible if it could be outsmarted.

      Bakura was the perfect candidate for that, and with its help, he was using all of the strengths of having a Vicinity Item, and he had none of the weaknesses.

         An older man placed a cup of coffee on the picnic table in front of him, the smell of roasted coffee beans wafting his way. The man who had handed Bakura the drink was middle aged, with a short, grey beard and a trucker’s hat, and had a beer belly on him as well.

       “Much obliged,” Bakura said to the man by the name of Gus, as he took the cup of coffee and began drinking it. Around them the birds chirped, the smell of a campfire smoke evident in the air. They had resorted to staying in a campground, since it was much cheaper for them to do so.

       “So how are you fairin’?” Gus asked bluntly, “You took quite the hit yesterday.”

       “I’m not bad actually.” Bakura retorted smugly, “I’ve been much worse.”

      “It was foolish of you to get so close to a wolf unguarded,” Gus continued on.

       “I have been hunting these things my whole life,” Bakura retorted smoothly with a lie, “I think I can handle it.”

      Gus glared at him as he replied gruffly, “Yeah, boy, and it’s people that think like that end up in a grave.”

      “I’m not a child, so don't treat me like one,” Bakura spat venomously.

       There were footsteps from behind, “Gus has a lot more experience than either of us, so shut up and listen if he has something to say, even if you're the one who hired us for the extra help.” Bakura returned the comment with a glare, meeting his eyes with Jason Matt, who had a towel draped over his shoulders, having just returned from the shower house.

       Jason watched him, his dark brown eyes narrowing “The reason you got attacked was because you bent down and tried to get some bracelet that the white wolf had. And I heard you and the wolf talking, you knew each other before.” He sat down at the picnic table, wondering if Bakura hunted wolves for a similar reason that Jason was hunting down Sawyer.

       “That bracelet is priceless, to obtain something that powerful would make us all stronger.”

       “Powerful? How?” Jason asked coldly, having been expecting a different answer than that. He had thought maybe the bracelet had belonged to someone memorable to Bakura, and that's why he had been trying to get it. It wasn't out of a wolf's character to steal something off of one of their kills, whether it be money, jewerly, or even the clothes on the victim's back. For Bakura to take something because it was powerful just seemed stupid, and it made him wonder how a bracelet could be considered strong. It's not like you could kill anyone with just a mere piece of jewelry.

       Bakura shrugged, “It is said that there are items out there that are beyond our understanding, and that they house unlimited power. I plan on obtaining the remaining items to use them.”