Issue #51...a Yugioh Fan Fiction

I turned the handle, the door slowly creaking open, showing the sunlight reflecting off the roof. I stepped out, my eyes adjusting with a squint, to see Jason leaning on the rail, looking down.

His knuckles were white, his face hidden, but I could see the tears on the railing, which had started to evaporate.

The doctors had broke the news to Jason over a couple hours ago. Gus had died, he hadn't been able to handle the injuries he had gotten, and according to the doctors, his heart gave out.

None of us had handled Gus dying well, but Jason was obviously more upset than the rest of us, since Gus was like a father to him. Sawyer had told me that Jason had been the one to make the decision to help us, therefore he felt responsible, "Don't." I said, his head raising, hearing my voice. "Don't blame yourself for this mistake." I uttered. His head lowered, as I seen his hands grip the railing his knuckles turning even more pale as tears dripped onto the back of his hand.

"How can't I, when I was the one who chose to leave the chopper?" He muttered, not looking at me, not meeting my eyes as I stood alongside the rail next to him, the tears falling uncontrollably from him.

Uncertainly, I placed my hand on his shoulder. "True, you might have been the one to help, but Gus made his own decision as well. Don't forget I was the one who brought you and Gus here." I retorted softly, "And I was the one that screwed up in the middle of the fight. Gus took that hit for me and for you. I claim full responsibility for his death." I replied, as his brown eyes gazed at me, as I saw a combination of loathing and surprise pass through them.

I sighed removing my hand from his shoulder, if Jason hated me, so be it. It would be better for him to hate me than himself. Trying to make a point that he had a reason to despise me, I shape shifted, standing up on my hind legs as I placed my paws onto the railing next to him. I stared down at the city...my city. There were people walking around, people with lives, with families. Jason didn't have one of those anymore, and he blamed himself for its destruction.

"Don't leave a burden like that on yourself, not when you were so close to him. It was my fault Bakura took down my pack, and tore our Items away from us. I wish there was something I could do to change it but I can't." I answered, closing my blue eyes. "I can only apologize."

"There's no need," He muttered, surprising me, as I listened, "This whole time you were the ones I needed to side with, and it took losing Gus to realize that. Dammit, you're not the only one with an apology."

My gaze softened, "What will you do now?" I asked. "Now that things have settled we can use the device to go home."

He scoffed, "Go home? To what?" he shook his head, his brown bangs looming over his face. "I have nothing left, not even my hunting job, really. Most of the wolves are dead, unless they are like your kind." He glanced down to the city below, "This is the closest thing to a fresh start anyone can get right?" He muttered bitterly.

"Would you like to stay with us?" I asked as he pulled out a cigarette, lighting it up with an old metallic lighter.

He glanced at it sadly for a moment, remembering something. "For those stressful times of yours, that's what Gus had said when he had given this to me." The old lighter glistened in the sunlight, scratched and beaten, but still going.

He shook his head to my offer of letting him stay with us, "Bad habits die hard you know, I still can't stand you wolves."

This time it was I who scoffed, flattening my ears against my skull, "I figured, but I was trying to be polite. Either way I think you'll find this world to be pretty interesting."