Issue #23...a Yugioh Fan Fiction.

Yugi stirred his body moving the dirt and grass around him. He groaned—pulling his body off the ground—his head pounded like a hammer. Next to him was Kaiba—who was still unconscious. He looked worried as he seen next to Kaiba a small rock where he had hit his head. There was no blood—but Yugi knew that he had hit it—because he had too. He stood up shaking his head in irritation.

                “Is anybody hurt!?” Yugi called over to Joey, Taiya, and Tristan.

                Joey and Tristan were a few yards from them pulling themselves off the ground. Taiya was sitting up—pulling grass out of her hair. Mocuba sat back up, shouldering the backpack he had.

                “Seto!” He said in a panicked voice, running over to his brother and flipped him on his back. Kaiba gritted his teeth as he was moved, but he did not open his eyes. After a moment he was unconscious again. Mocuba ran his hands over his brother with worry, hoping he could wake him.

                “Been better…” Joey said with a groan—massaging the back of his head where he had been tackled into the ground by Tristan. Tristan chuckled at Joey’s predicament—even though his body was just as bruised.

                “So is this Hope’s home?” Taiya asked standing up in the woods around them.

                “I’d say to ask Kaiba but he’s not awake yet.” Tristan said, standing up next to her and Joey. The group gave Kaiba a worried glance. Mocuba was kneeling over his brother and then he looked up as he stared past Yugi—his voice was concerned.

                “I think we have bigger problems—” Mocuba said nervously, his heart pounding in his chest.

                A large coyote stared at him—his eyes glowing. His back had curved spikes protruding from his back and next to him was a pack of coyotes with a similar appearance. . 

                The large coyote tipped his ugly head up to the night and howled loudly into the night. Others snarled and began to spread out around them. Yugi looked around nervously, they were way out numbered, Kaiba was unconscious and Mocuba couldn’t defend himself against a pack this large. Yugi shouted to Mocuba.

                “Get out of here! Right now get somewhere safe!” Mocuba stared perplexed as Yugi grabbed him and shoved him into the bushes. As Yugi stood back up he grabbed a branch. The coyotes snarled and lunged at him. Yugi beat them across the face with the branch and they both fell to the ground with a yelp. Taiya screamed as the others snarled and tackled her to the ground their large fangs lunging for her throat Joey and Tristan smacked them off with the branch. In her embarrassment she took the branch from Tristan as he grabbed another for himself. The coyotes snarled and they came at all of them growling deeply.

                Mocuba ran through the brush scrambling along the way…he had to find help anyone, anywhere. He tripped and smashed into the ground.

**************************************************

Although it was summer, it was one of those rare, cooler nights. Sneakers ran through the grass, snapping down on twigs and the black KC jacket swooshing as it brushed alongside the branches. My hair flew behind me, in long brown wisps as I wondered whether I should shape shift when I was nearly broadsided by someone, I stumbled out of the way, nearly hitting the ground myself. He had black hair that fell over his face, and was shorter than me still, he had his eyes closed as he forced himself onto his knees. I hadn’t been expecting him. “Mocuba? Mocuba!!!” I looked at him and smiled, tackling this kid I thought I’d never see again into a tight hug. He lifted his head sprinkled in dirt off the ground and stared at me. I had been out in the woods for a while it seemed, my senses on alert, although I admit I hadn’t expected to see any person running about. Let alone him, if he was here, maybe his brother wasn’t far behind.

                “Hope?” He said and shook his head, “Now I know I must have hit my head…”

                “Where is Seto! Are there others?” I said anxiously; knowing that they didn’t leave each other’s side—especially in times of crisis. Yet Mocuba's heart was racing, and now that i noticed, his eyes were filled with fright.

                “They are in the woods—being attacked by these small possessed wolves—”

                “This isn’t good.” I said nervously, those “small possessed wolves” sounded coincidentally like the coyote in my dream, why couldn’t have they gone after me?  

                “Where are they!!!?” I said and shook Mocuba gently—his eyes grew wide as he stared at me. He pointed to the northwestern side of the woods.

                “Help show me exactly where they are—” I said and shape-shifted my wolf eyes now bearing down on him.

                “It’s far—”

                “Well I’m a fast runner.” I replied to him and asked him to climb unto my back.

                “Are you sure?” He said and I nodded, Mocuba was younger than me and he was human—he wouldn’t be able to keep up.

                He sat on me and I took off running. I felt him begin to slide off my back. He then grabbed me and hung on tighter, clinging to my sides as I ran, taking fast loping strides.

                We got to the edge of the field and he ordered me to go straight. Immediately I picked up on their scent and I stopped at the edge of the clearing…the cornfield.

                He hopped off my back and I could already see everyone’s shape outlined in the moonlight. They were all fighting with branches or something of the sort, fighting some weird canines.

                We took off running—I matched Mocuba’s pace for the time being. They were holding their own for the moment.

                Yugi was tackled to the ground by the large mutant coyote. I gasped as the coyote began gnawing through the thick branch that Yugi was using as defense. I increased my pace and growled taking the canine to the ground. We swirled circling each other and diving at each other’s necks. I turned human quickly as I swirled around stabbing him with a sharp pointed stick. It hit him in the chest and he stumbled falling to the ground mortally wounded.

                I shape shifted again and the other coyotes dashed off. I shouted as I seen one last one that jumped at Taiya, who didn’t even have a branch anymore to defend herself with. I threw myself at the coyote and tackled his body towards the ground. We slammed into the rock at full force. The coyote yelped in protest and my own head crashed into the corner of the rock. The world spun and I had no choice but to close my eyes.

Yes I know! A shorty chapter, but I thought it was good to break this apart from the next few scenes. Vote or Comment Please! :)