Transparent

Genre: Paranormal

Ever since I was a child, I always wondered: "What would it be like if I'm invisible?" I always thought invisibility is just a dream.

A scientific impossibility.

A work of fiction.

I never stopped dreaming its possibility. It would be great being invisible since no one will ever notice your mistakes.

Your imperfections.

Your sins and vices.

Freedom is a lie, but invisibility makes it true. That is, if invisibility was actually real. Unfortunately, both of them are just illusions. Both are not real.

Well, that's what I thought.

What stood in front of me is a capsule-like chamber with a comfortable seat in it. It is small and would only fit one person. By the looks of it, no one with claustrophobia will ever dare to go in it. Of all the things in this private laboratory, this contraption is the most peculiar. The electronic door of the lab opened and Doctor Browne entered, wearing his usual lab coat outfit.

"Are you ready, Mr. Wilson?" He asked.

"Do I really need to go in there?" I said with a hint of nervousness present in my voice.

"What's the problem? Claustrophobia?" He said.

"No, it's just that........I'm the first living human to test it, right?"

"Yes, but I assure you it's perfectly safe. We have already tried it on both living and non-living subjects, except a living human. Do you trust me, Cedric?" He questioned.

"I perfectly trust you, Dr. Browne. But still........" But he cuts me off.

"Look, Cedric. You just need to remember 3 things:

One, the invisibility lasts for three hours only.

Two, take note that 10% of the population has the ability to see you, invisible or not. Take caution and stay away from the immune ones.

Lastly, there will be some instances where you won't be able to physically affect things. If that happens, just use the right amount of will."

"Whoa, okay. Here I go."

I took a deep breath, entered the capsule-like contraption and took a seat. The cover of the machine hissed and slowly sealed me shut. On the glass window of the metal door, Dr. Browne gave me a friendly wave before activating the machine.

Soon, the capsule is filled with a fragrant white mist which sticks to the skin and clothing, giving it a glossy appearance. I closed my eyes and waited for the process to be complete.

*******

When the metal door hissed back, my eyes adjusted from the light outside. I slowly took my way outside the capsule and looked for Dr. Browne, only to find no trace of him. I noticed something on the table: a mirror with a sticky note attached to it.

It said:

To Cedric Wilson,

Sorry for leaving you so early. I have an emergency to attend to. So to make it up, here's a mirror to check the success of the experiment and witness the first invisible human in history.

That is, if you can SEE yourself. Hahahaha!

From,

Dr. Dave Browne