Closure

Genre: Mystery

came one summer morning. I was working on my biceps, Van Halen's guitar solo playing on the background, when the phone rang.

It was Charlie.

"She's dying, cousin." Charlie works as a weatherman for a local television station, and had always talked with the same casual tone. I never knew how much it annoyed me until then. "She's eighty four. She can't wait for you forever."

"I thought donuts are your favorite," Elaine said, smiling. She sat next to me and filched my breakfast. "Hmm.. yummy."

I put my phone away and stared at the coffee, now cold and muddy. "I'm going to see Gran'."

She used her free hand to cup my cheek with her fingers and raised my eyes to meet hers. A sad smile on her face. "Do you want me to come with you?"

I shook my head and hated doing so the moment I stepped into the family's property. I noticed the old scooter on the garage, standing exactly where I remembered it. It was a gift from uncle Tonyo. Grandma told us one day that she wished she was a nun so she could ride around town delivering God's words.

"But then you won't have us," scowled young and sweet Charlie, who wanted to be a doctor. "Nuns don't marry."

She then grinned and showered my cousins with kisses. All but me. They had fought for her attention. Tugging here and there. Grandma here, Grandma that. I won't. I would not dare. Lola Anastacia could turn anything to an excuse to slap me.

"The black sheep is back!"

I smiled and turned to the voice. "Still alive, I see."

Lolo Jose laughed and hugged me. I dropped my face on his shoulder and inhaled like I always did whenever I bit my tongue or my hips turned black and blue. Lola's younger brother was the bright moon of my darkest days. "I missed you, old man. How are you?"

"Healthy as a horse! I've thought of another way to burn my pension the last time the damn television died on me. So here I am-" He wiggled his shoulders, moved as swift as his tsinelas would allow, and winked at me. "Taking up ballroom lessons. I feel like I'd live to be a hundred!"

A hundred, I thought.

He must have caught something on my expression when he smiled and said, "She's upstairs."

Now I was alone with my grandmother while Lolo Jose grilled bangus for lunch and the midwife volunteered to do groceries. They want me alone with her.

But I'm not even brave enough to look at her.

"Is that you, Edgardo?"

I almost jumped when I felt her thin fingers closed around my wrist. 'La Anastacia's face was rapt. Edgardo was my father. Groping for words, my mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

"Forgive me." A light of hope glowed on her faded eyes. "Father had arranged my marriage with Frederico, and I fear I could no longer stop it."

Frederico. My grandfather. My mouth felt dry as realization started to sink on my addled brain. "No.."

"Remember Frederico? He agreed to help us when I told him that I am with child."

My heart sank. All those years of bitterness and fear rushed back and filled my eyes with tears. "This is unfair.. Please don't.. I can't hate you if you're this weak.."

"Forgive me," she repeated. Tears streamed down her pale face. Her lower lip trembled along with her words. "I waited for you that night. On the orchard. I was prepared to leave everything behind. I waited 'til my fingers froze and heart melted.. you never came. Each of the following night I asked Jose to keep the light on on my room.. longing for your whispers.. praying for your kisses.."

I touched her face and gently rubbed her tears with my thumb. She smiled at me for the very first time.

"If it's a boy, I vow to name him after you."

"I know you would," I smiled and kissed her brow. "I forgive you."