black cat

Genre: Fantasy

As I enter the open window, I begin changing my form from a black feathered bird into a feline with eyes that glows like the moon.

They say that a feline of this color is a sign of bad luck. A sign that something unfortunate is about to happen, something really really bad.

I can't blame them but I dont think badly of them if they do hate my chosen forms. I am indeed a sign of something bad. I'm even a sign of something worst.

I am the black cat of misfortune and the black raven of death. I am the gatherer of souls and the grim reaper, some says.

Indeed, I am all the things that is associated with death, for it is my job. It is my duty to be there when someone is about to die.

As sad as I am, even if I hate to do this all, I have to deal with this to fetch a departed's soul.

I survey my surrounding, this room designed for a child. It's adorned with different colors, a female child's taste to be exact.

I approach her and effortlessly jump on her bed, watch her silently as she peacefully lay there sleeping, unaware of her fate. I touch her face with my feline paws. Pity is in my heart. She is too young to die. But I can't do anything for this is really her time.

A girl of eight and with a cute and friendly face. A girl that could have grown into a beautiful lady, if not for her ill fate.

I watch sadly as her face contorts with fear. I watch as reality follows her even in her dreams.

A horrible life she has, a molested young girl. If only I can interfere, I'll crash the skull of her demented step father.

Fate it self took pity on her and decide that this is more better. Take her away from this suffering by taking the life out of her.

And this is where I step in, to make sure that everything for her will be alright, that even for all the people out there that think that I'm a sign of something bad, that I'm only doing what is right.

I kissed her forehead and took away her horrible dream. From now on, all she will ever experience are happiness and great things.

I put my paws where her heartbeat can be felt, and starts to feel it fading. Pain in death is the last thing I want for her. She had enough of it.

And as her heartbeat stop, her life seize to exist. She doesn't deserve this kind of life, she deserve better than this.

And her soul departs her young mortal body, she now crossed life and deaths boundary. All that's left to do now is guide her where she deserve to be staying, a place where she will be happy.

She open her eyes and look around her room, look into her young mortal body that she once own.

"Dont be afraid, all will be well now. I am here to bring you to a place, a place where your real father is staying now."

After she hear what I say, her lips curve into a smile. She don't even complain that I am an odd talking cat. Perhaps she know, that her time has come. That wherever she is going, she will never ever be sad again.

I still have a trick up in my sleeve for her. Something I have to do just before we leave to make this journey of hers as memorable as it can be.

I again change my form, now more like a human figure. I spread my jet black wings, this is my true nature.

I give her my hand and she take it. I carry her and hold her near. I look at her and she smile at me so I give her a wink.

As we leave her room through the window, we soar up in the sky to a place where she deserve to stay. Where I promise her that all things will be alright.

I am an angel of death. I am the gatherer of dead souls. I may not be the adorable one but I will still continue carrying out this important work.