47. Pauline.

"Camille! Who is that girl sitting in my spot?" Charlotte came into the kitchen.

"Oh, that would be my lovely cousin Pauline" Camille said with a small sigh.

"You seem really excited about her being here" Charlotte said dryly and sat down at the counter.

"I'm not. All she ever does is try to outshine me and bring me down. This Christmas keeps getting worse" Camille explained as she poured coffee in four cups, "she got married and came to rub it in my face. Isn't she sweet?" She rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Oh, yeah. I can just feel the sweetness coming off of her from the other room" Charlotte said as she turned her head and saw Pauline making an annoyed face at whatever Isobel was saying, "why not just kick her out?"

"Kick her out? Charlotte, you're supposed to be the reasonable one. I can't just kick my cousin out" Camille raised an eyebrow.

"I'm thinking outside the box" Charlotte shrugged.

"Since when?"

"Since I started writing my short story. I've had to understand your personalities better and get into your heads. I think you guys are rubbing off on me" Charlotte explained.

"Writers are creepy" Camille muttered and Charlotte shrugged with a small grin, "can you help me carry these in?" She asked about the coffee cups and they picked them up and went into the living room.

"Oh, good. You're back. We were just having a friendly chat over here" Isobel smiled. Pauline looked highly irritated.

"Right... I was just about to tell Isobel the story of how I met Daniel" she said pridefully.

"Your husband?" Camille asked.

"Obviously" Pauline raised an eyebrow, "oh and it's a long story so sit tight" she grinned.

"I'm gonna get a glass off whiskey" Isobel said and got up.

"Get two" Camille whispered to her and Isobel left the room with a smile.

"Oh you're gonna love this. It is the sweetest story"

...

After an hour, Pauline was finally done telling her story and Isobel and Camille could barely make out the outlines of the room after drinking through the whole story.

"Thatt is a greatt storyy, Pauline. I heard eevry word" Camille mumbled through her words and Charlotte shook her head disapprovingly. She took away their whiskey and went into the kitchen to get some more snacks.

"I know. We're just meant to be together, aren't we?" Pauline said. Camille never thought of her cousin as a bad person, just that she had a really cocky attitude and was really annoying sometimes, but her story and her excitement about spending the Christmas with her husband had made Camille even sadder than before.

She had spend every other Christmas with her girlfriends, of course after meeting them. Before that, Camille's holidays had been very dull, having to spend them with her family and sitting through shouting between her mom and her sister and watching her mother drink her way through Christmas dinner. Then having to listen to her cousin brag about her success or whatever good thing was happening in her life at that time.

"Yeah... you really are" Camille sighed, "so how long are you staying here for?"

"Just tonight. I'll leave tomorrow morning. Danny can barely last a day without me" she giggled. It sounded annoying to Camille. Everything about Pauline sounded annoying to her right now.

That night she made Pauline a bed on the couch and postponed the Christmas decorating for another day. In the middle of the night Pauline woke them up screaming. When they went downstairs, they realised she had been screaming because Buddy had decided to jump on the couch and sleep on Pauline's legs. Camille couldn't help but chuckle a bit. She brought the cats upstairs with her and tried to go back to sleep, but couldn't. This was turning out to be a really bad Christmas...