16. The cats (part 2)

"Caster!"

"Caaaster!"

"CASTER!"

The girls shouted as they searched outside of the house.

"Caster!" Candice yelled, her voice almost breaking off. They were on the empty street which lead to the town. Hints of lighter blue had started to mix in with the dark sky.

"Where could he have gone?" Camille asked to herself as she tried to think of all the places Caster visited.

"What if he- came across a dog and now he's-..." Isobel couldn't finish the sentence.

"Did you search everywhere in the house?" Charlotte asked Candice.

"Yes! He's not there" she seemed so hopeless. Nothing like her usual exterior.

"Maybe I should check again, maybe he went back" she replied.

"Okay, fine." Candice huffed and went further down the street.

Charlotte went back and the other two continued searching around.

When the sun finally came up, Camille and Isobel decided to give up. They went back looking completely defeated. Tears had dried under Camille's eyes and Isobel was trying to keep herself from crying. Candice had gone out of sight. She was probably near the town right now. She king of knew that Caster wouldn't go that far but she was still hopeful that she'd find him sitting outside a bakery somewhere bribing the owner to give him food.

Camille walked into the living room where Charlotte was sitting. She didn't look at her, just curled up in a small armchair and muttered, "we didn't find him"

She heard Charlotte giggled and looked to see what the girl found so funny in a moment like this.

Camille's eyes widened when she saw Caster sitting in Charlotte's lap, looking like the king he was.

"Where was he?!" She asked as she stormed off of the armchair and kneeled down to pet him. Caster easily dismissed her attempts at love. She chuckled.

"He was in the couch" Charlotte said and looked up looking confused, "I have no idea how he got in but when I sat down I heard his purring"

"...wow. I will never understand cats" Camille said. "So how'd you get him out?"

"Well... let's just say we need a new couch cuz this one had a hole in it" she answered. Just in time Isobel came in. Her face lightened as she yelled Caster's name and went to pick him up, completely ignoring his attempts to scratch her. The girls laughed and Charlotte told Isobel where he had been.

Now they just had to wait for Candice.

~•~

"Your coffee miss"

"...tank wouy" Candice mumbled. She was sitting in a coffee shop with her head planted in her arms on the table.

"Um.. is everything okay, miss?"

"Idwonthaveacatanymwore" she said.

"You don't have a cat anymore?"

Surprised at how easy it was for this person to understand her, Candice lifted her head a bit to see who it was.

A girl around her age with brown hair and brown eye.

"...yes" she said and planted her head back into her arms.

"That sucks" the blonde girl said. Candice realized she had sat down in front of her. Was this part of the service?

"But should you really be this sad over a cat?" She asked.

Candice snapped her head up, "you don't understand, okay? The bond between a human and its pet is special. I would gladly risk my life for my pets" she stated.

"How many pets do you have?"

"Well... I used to have three. Two cats Caster and Buddy and a fish- Charlotte the third" she said, "but Caster's gone missing and so here I am, sulking and drowning in coffee" she said as she picked up her cup. This had to be her third refill.

"...actually, there was this other cat... but I don't know what happened to it" she said as she took a sip.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize this could be so important to some people" she said. Candice gave her a weird look. She had trouble understanding why this waitress even cared.

"...okay" was all she said.

After the small and a bit awkward conversation, Candice decided to go back home and sulk in her room. Once she walked in, she took off her coat and boots and put on her sleepers. She went into the living room where she saw three girls and three cats.

Wait...

Three cats?!

Her eyes widened. Caster was sleeping in Camille's lap. "Caster!" She yelled and kneeled down in front of him. "He's back? He's actually back?"

"He never left" Isobel smiled.

"He was stuck in the couch" Camille continued.

"Well I wouldn't say stuck. Once I got him out, he seemed more annoyed by being woken up than happy for being free" Charlotte chuckled.

Candice scratched behind his ear- the only petting spot he would accept. She felt relieved and no longer sad. She also took notice that they had a new family member now. The strange cat. Everything turned out as well as it could have, now the only problem they had to deal with was choosing the perfect name for the new cat. As in all fairytales, at the end of the day the girl found their happy ending...