39. Halloween

SEVEN DAYS BEFORE HALLOWEEN

*knock knock*

"I'll get it!" Candice shouted from the kitchen and went to answer the door in her morning attire(a long blanket wrapped around herself, her hair in a big messy bun (and not the cute type of messy bun), last nights makeup still on her face, a ginormous mug that had a black cat on it in her hand, her fuzzy black slippers and a mean looking face).

She saw a few kids gasp when they saw her open the door. "What?" She demanded in an annoyed tone. She wasn't very popular with kids, as most of them knew her as the scary lady that lived in a cottage.

"A-are Camille and Charlotte home?" One of the little girls dressed in a princess costume asked.

"Yes" Candice said, her tone was harsh and a bit raspy as it usually was in the morning. Her face was stern and impatient.

"Can you get them?" The superhero boy asked.

"No" Candice smiled. The kids looked at each other awkwardly.

"...trick or treat!" The three of them shouted and tried to look excited. Candice's face fell.

"You guys know it's not halloween yet, right?" She asked.

"We're starting off early" one of the boys dressed as Dracula piped up, "by the end of halloween, we'll have more candy then any other kid in town. They'll all be so jealous" he said with an evil grin and added a villainous laugh in the end.

Candice blinked.

"S'pose I can respect that" she said, "but sorry,kids, we haven't bought any candy yet. But I have some cigarettes if you want" she shrugged. A few of the kids cheered.

"Candice!" Camille called out angrily. She went up to the door and smiled at the kids, "oh you all look so adorable! Here, I bought some candy this morning" she said and held up a bag full of sweets. Candice looked at her.

"You did? But you didn't tell me" she sounded hurt.

"That's because I know you" Camille chuckled, she was putting candy into the kids' pumpkin bowls, "you would've eaten all of it"

"You're the one with a candy addiction" Candice protested. Camille looked up at her guiltily.

"...yes, but this is for children. I have self control, you know?" She answered. Candice raised a questioning eyebrow.

"That's not what it sounded last ni-"

"OKAY! That's all the candy you'll be getting from us, kids! Off you go! Go, go!" Camille burst out and practically closed the door in their faces. She gave Candice a critical face as the other girl laughed, feeling proud of herself.

~•~

SIX DAYS BEFORE HALLOWEEN

"What's the first thing on our list?" Charlotte asked when her and Isobel where in the store.

"Candy" Isobel read, "Camille and Candice have pretty much devoured all we had" she added. Charlotte chuckled. They went up to 'all the sweets' isle and picked out a few of their favourites. Isobel checked candy off of their list, "next is alcohol"

"Alcohol?" Charlotte asked, looking genuinely confused.

"For the party" Isobel said casually.

"What party?"

"...the halloween party" Isobel said a bit hesitantly as if something had just hit her, "which I now realise the others haven't yet told you about" she closed her eyes in guilt.