45. The holidays are at our door.

"Get back here, Caster, you demon!" Isobel rushed into the living room with Caster running in front of her. He ran into the kitchen and jumped on the counter, crawling onto the highest shelf where Isobel's height couldn't reach him and knocked over one of the dishes. Isobel made the most offended face.

"You... " she fumed and went to grab a chair. Charlotte watched the whole thing unfold from the living room armchair. It was her favourite spot. Isobel came into the living room after realising that none of the chairs around the table were actually there.

She grabbed one of the chairs that was in front of the TV for some reason, "how come nothing in this house is ever where it should be?" She muttered and was about to walk out when she noticed Charlotte scribbling down in her journal, "what are you writing?"

The other girl looked up, "oh... just a short story" she shrugged and dug her head back into the notebook.

"About?" Isobel smiled, getting curious now.

"Well... it's about four girl... and it's Christmas themed... that's all I can tell you" Charlotte nodded at her words and went back to writing.

"Nice. I already know everything I need to know. Make me sound cool" she grinned and got up. Charlotte looked up defeated. Was it really that obvious?

Another sound of a broken dish came from the kitchen and Isobel went red with anger, "CASTER YOU IDIOT! I AM JUST TRYING TO BRUSH YOUR FUR!!!!!" She said and stormed back into the kitchen.

The main door opened and Camille waltzed in, "I have arrived everyone!" She said with a huge grin spread across her face.

"You seem oddly happy for a Monday" Charlotte noted.

"I am! I bought decorations!" She said and went into the living room to sit on the small coffee table in front of Charlotte. She gave her a little kiss and took off her jacket. Isobel came in as well and sat on the arm of the couch.

"Hey, babe" Isobel leaned forward and kissed Camille, "decorations for what?"

"For Christmas of course" Camille said like it was obvious.

"Isn't it a little early to be decorating for Christmas?" Isobel raised an eyebrow.

"It's December, isn't it?" Camille shrugged, "plus I would've started decorating in July if I was allowed"

"Why can't we use last year's decorations?" Charlotte asked.

"Because..." she tried to think of an answer, but couldn't think of any, "just cuz"

"Okay" Isobel chuckled, "what have you bought?"

After Camille had given them a small haul of everything she bought, the girl decided to go Caster haunting. They finally managed to catch him and were now brushing on the porch outside.

"Has Candice called today?" Camille asked.

"I talked to her this morning" Charlotte started, "she'll be staying at her mom's for another night. She didn't say why, but she said everything was fine"

"I'm kinda worried. She never stays there so long" Isobel said.

"Maybe... they're finally getting along?" Camille suggested and the two gave her stern looks, "yeah, okay, maybe not"

"I mean we could go there... it could be a surprise" Isobel suggested now.

"No, the last thing she wants is us being there" Charlotte sighed. Candice liked to deal with her problems on her own and Charlotte understood that more than anyone.

"I'm sure everything's fine" Camille started, but got caught off by Isobel's phone ringing.

"Sorry" Isobel said and got up. She went inside to answer it.

"Hello?" Isobel answered. She instantly recognised the voice on the other line, "dad? Hi... why are you calling?"

She sat down on a chair as she listened to her father speak, "For Christmas?" She was being invited for dinner at her parents place and her father was the one inviting her, "yes, definitely, if you're sure"

Isobel tried hard to keep her voice from breaking and she had to take a deep breath after she hung up the phone. Charlotte came in.

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah... I just... I won't be here for Christmas... my parents want me to spend the holiday with them" she said with a faint smile and hints of relief mixed in with fear. Charlotte raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"...oh"

~•~

A/N: heyyy thank you for reading! I was sort of hesitant about writing this chapter and the one before this since I said this story wouldn't have any sad scenes, but now I don't know if I should go in depth with their personal problems especially since the story is ending soon. I just hope you enjoyed this chapter and thanks for reading again. I'll try to update quicker.