37. Night talks

Charlotte came home at around 2am feeling exhausted and completely drained. She had taken a longer shift at her second job in the local library. Their house was quiet and she was glad it had been a Tuesday night and everyone had work the next day because otherwise they'd still have been up. Not that she minded their company, it's just the three of them could be a little loud and Charlotte felt too tired to deal with it. She took of her long auburn coloured coat and hung it on the hanger.

Buddy had been sleeping on the counter and woke up when Charlotte closed the door. He jumped down and brushed against Charlotte's feet as he started purring. Charlotte knelt down and petted him. She could barely keep her eyes open and the only source of light she had at the moment was moonlight coming through the windows. Buddy raised up on his feet and put his front paws on Charlotte's knees. This meant he wanted to be picked up. Charlotte did just that and went upstairs with Buddy resting on her chest, purring quietly. She walked to her room, her body felt heavy and in need of some rest.

She turned the door handle and pushed the door open. Buddy jumped down on the floor and ran to Charlotte's bed as he made himself comfortable on the edge. Charlotte closed the door behind her and smiled when she noticed Camille, who had fallen asleep while waiting for Charlotte to come home. She was sleeping on Charlotte's bed and didn't wake up when Buddy tugged on her feet.

Charlotte ran her hands through her hair and looked around to find if she had left any blanket in her room. She had, and she grabbed it and put it on Camille who quickly relaxed as she had been a little tense because of the breeze coming from the open window. Charlotte slightly closed the window but not fully. It was a beautiful night. A full moon. She stared at the cloudless sky for a few long seconds before she decided to change into her pyjamas.

She carefully laid down on the free side of the bed and faces Camille. Buddy started purring again. Charlotte rested her head on her palm as she watched her girlfriend sleep peacefully. Camille must have woken up. She had always been a light sleeper.

"...hey" the pink haired girl murmured. Charlotte smiled.

"Sorry I woke you"

Camille shook her head slightly as if to say it was nothing. "You're home so late..."

They were whispering and it felt nice against the light purring of Buddy and the sounds of all the insects coming from the open window.

"...yeah. This is the only time I can work at the library" Charlotte said in a low, calm voice. Moonlight coming from the window was resting on Camille's face and adding glimmer to her already beautiful blue eyes.

"I know, but you're always so tired these days... and we barely see you..." Camille said, a hint of concern and sadness finding itself in her voice.

"...sorry... but you know I can't quit right now" Charlotte said and looked down at their hands, halfway through their conversation they had found their way to each other. Camille lightly squeezed Charlotte's hand.

"You could ask Isobel... you know she'd never say no to-" Camille started, but Charlotte didn't want to have that conversation that night.

"Can we talk about this some other night? I just wanna sleep" Charlotte said, trying not to sound offensive. Good thing Camille was understanding and she nodded and shuffled a but closer to Charlotte, resting her head under her chin and going to sleep. Charlotte caressed her hand on Camille's hair a few times and decided to go to sleep as well.

~*~