17. Name

"Mrs. Marshmallow!" Isobel shouted as she came downstairs.

"Sparky!" Candice joined in behind her.

"Lady marmalade is with me" Camille replied from the kitchen and came to join them with the new cat in hand, "I just gave her a bath. She was surprisingly willing. Maybe Caster should try being a bit more like Lady" she said as she shot a nasty look to Caster who returned the look for a second then went back to licking his paw.

"Aren't you a sweetheart, Mrs Marshmallow" Isobel said as she petted her, "oh yes you are!"

"Yep, Sparky's the best" Candice said with a proud face.

Charlotte, who was watching all of this from the living room, closed her book and took of her glasses which she only wore while reading.

"This can't go on" she said to herself.

"Girls! Come here" she ordered. The three of them looked at her, then they looked at each other, then they looked at her again.

Camille was the first to come over and the other two followed.

" what's up?" She asked.

"You need to pick a name for the cat"

"We did. It's Mrs, Marshmallow" Isobel shrugged.

"No. It's Sparky" Candice followed.

"No! It's Lady Marmalade" Camille stated.

"Okay, that is the worst name anyone could have possibly thought of and you thought of it" Candice said. Camille dropped her offended mouth.

"How dare you! Like Sparky's any better" she fired back.

"It is!"

"Marshmallow is better than both of those names" Isobel said.

"How would she be a marshmallow?" Camille demanded.

"Maybe a burnt one" Candice rolled her eyes.

"...children" Charlotte muttered to herself. "Okay! We shall decide who names the cat right here, right now"

The three of them stopped talking and looked at Charlotte for a possible decision.

"Why should you be the one to decide?" She asked Candice.

"Because I found her" she stated simply.

"You didn't find her, she found you when you were snoring on our couch. Which still doesn't explain why you decided to sleep there instead of your room like a normal person" Isobel huffed.

"There are crickets in my room" she said as if it was nothing.

"What?!" The three of them looked at her.

"Never mind that. The fact that Sparky found me is all the more reason I should name her. She clearly favours me" she said.

"Oh that's crap! You haven't been spending nearly enough time with her as me" Camille complained.

"Shush!" Charlotte said, "why should you name the cat, Isobel?"

"Because I didn't get to name any of the other two cats. Though I did nickname Candice as shithead" she scoffed. Candice practically growled at her.

"Point taken" Charlotte smiled, "why should you name the cat, Cam?"

"Because I take care of our animals the most. I should get to name her since I'm the one that's been feeding her, washing her, brushing her and playing with her, all they do is pet her" she said.

"You make a valid point" Charlotte nodded.

"Hey!" The other two exclaimed.

"Now, let's see which name suits her more. Lady marmalade, Sparky or Marshmallow"

"Mrs. Marshmallow" Isobel pointed out.

"She's not married" Camille huffed.

"It sounds cute"

"It sounds stupid" Candice said. Isobel picked up a pillow and smacked Candice in the face, "you did not!" Candice picked up another pillow and hit Isobel.

Stop it!" Charlotte said and hit her book on the small coffee table. The two quieted down immediately. "W let's go on"

"Well she's a girl so Sparky's out" Camille shrugged.

"Sparky can be a girls name!" Candice complained.

"Eh..."

"Marshmallow doesn't suit her at all. She's a black cat, she needs to have a cool name" Candice said.

"I'm sorry. You think Sparky's a cool name?" Isobel laughed, "I think Marshmallow would be perfectly suited for her personality"

"How would you know what her personality's like. You never spend any time with her" Camille protested.

"Yes, I do!"

"No, you don't!"

"Yes, I do!" Isobel stood up.

"No, you don't!" Camille followed.

"Sit!" Charlotte yelled and they both sat down.

"Who named the last pet?" Candice asked.

"You did. You named Buddy" Camille said.

"And the one before that?"

"I named Caster and Isobel named Charlotte the third" she shrugged. The three looked at Charlotte.

"Well crap! That means it's your turn to name her" Isobel scoffed.

Charlotte was met with responsibility she didn't know if she could handle. She thought hard before she thought of the perfect name. One that everyone would like and one that would suit the new cat.

"I think we should name her..." she paused for suspense. The three leaned forward with impatience.

"Lena" Charlotte said with a satisfied green.

The others went quiet.

"...that's a shit name" Candice said.

"We should've just named her ourselves" Isobel said as she got up. Candice and Camille stood as well.

"Yeah..." Camille sighed, "let's go Lena" she called to the cat that gladly went after her (favourite) new mom.

Charlotte giggled, knowing that soon enough they would start loving the name. This had been their reaction to all the other pet names. In they end they always found themselves loving the chosen names.